Advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirsty R

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi, just looking for some advice, I have a son with type 1 diabetes and he wanted me to checked my bloods so I did. I was surprised to see that they were 11.2. This has lead me to keep a check on my levels after eating and when waking up. So a 2 hr post meal test last night which was 8.5. I have also done a fasting one this morning which was 7.4. 2 hrs after breakfast 9.8, then 2 hrs after lunch 8.7. What do you advise me to do is this something i need to just keep monitoring or do I need to talk with the GP?

Hi, just looking for some advice, I have a son with type 1 diabetes and he wanted me to checked my bloods so I did. I was surprised to see that they were 11.2. This has lead me to keep a check on my levels after eating and when waking up. So a 2 hr post meal test last night which was 8.5. I have also done a fasting one this morning which was 7.4. 2 hrs after breakfast 9.8, then 2 hrs after lunch 8.7. What do you advise me to do is this something i need to just keep monitoring or do I need to talk with the GP?
Yes see a Doctor. Any random test over 11.1 is ( or was ) diagnostic of Type 2 Diabetes as are two fasting tests over 7. But having a child diagnosed with Type 1 raises your own risk of being dxed with it ( to 3%) . In that case You could be LADA ( slow burn Type 1). At any rate your numbers are of concern.

But having a child diagnosed with Type 1 raises your own risk of being dxed with it ( to 3%)
That is very interesting, I had seen the risk quoted for children of a parent with Type 1. Can you share the source of this s I can learn more?

What do you advise me to do is this something i need to just keep monitoring or do I need to talk with the GP?
Sorry for slightly derailing your thread. I agree that you should see a doctor

That is very interesting, I had seen the risk quoted for children of a parent with Type 1. Can you share the source of this s I can learn more?

Sorry for slightly derailing your thread. I agree that you should see a doctor

The term to search for is 'secondary attack rate in Type 1 diabetes'. Its about the risk of siblings and parents also getting Type 1 after a child has been dxed. University of Colorado did the basic studies.

The term to search for is 'secondary attack rate in Type 1 diabetes'. Its about the risk of siblings and parents also getting Type 1 after a child has been dxed. University of Colorado did the basic studies.
Thanks for this. It is interesting although the sample size is small (less than 1,400) and although the risk appears to be higher than without a child with T1, that is only when compared to Pittsburgh: it is similar to contemporary European rates.
And as a mother of a son with T1, the risk for the OP is only raised by 1.7% within that small study.

I think it is interesting enough to warrant a larger global study.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back