advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_G

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey all, so i have always injected my novarapid about 10-15 mins before eating, however this has become a hassle to do before lunch at work lately and i have heard that it is possible to inject after a meal instead of before?

Will this give me the same results as injetcting before and how would i go about doing this? is there a certain amount of time i have to inject after eating or can i do it straight after?

Many thanks xx

You can inject after but you dnt always catch the spike so might notice a change in your levels. I tend to inject just before I eat.

Timing can be awkward - it depends how well you know your food and reaction to it. I always inject just before I eat, some inject just after so they know how many carbs they've actually eaten. Some know that for certain meals they need to inject 15 mins before because their insulin needs to be working to catch an early spike from the cake they are about to eat 🙂

It shouldn't be an issue injecting just after - just don't forget like I did the other day!

It really depends what your eating. If your having something liked mashed potato - you need to inject 10 minutes before as the mash starts working very quickly - so the insulin is ready and waiting for it. But if your having something like a sandwich - its probably ok to do it after eating - the problem is that it then takes another 10 minutes to start working - so there could be a good 20 minutes to half an hour gap and this could cause a spike. At clinic we were always told to do it before a meal because you need to give the insulin time to start working.🙂Bev

I agree with those who've already posted/
That's why i liked Actrapid better, because i found it acted almost immediately. For me , it's much harder to judge with Novorapid and it certainly doesn't start to work anything like as quickly as Actrapid - i'd say i could inject 20 mins before eating most of the time, which i find a nuisance.

i tend to do it the second i've eaten the food - sometimes i can't tell how much i'm going to eat so i find it easier to wait until i know how much i've had. that is unless it's something i eat regularly (like my cereal & yoghurt combination for breakfast) - then i'll take it before i eat.

That's why i liked Actrapid better, because i found it acted almost immediately. For me , it's much harder to judge with Novorapid and it certainly doesn't start to work anything like as quickly as Actrapid - i'd say i could inject 20 mins before eating most of the time, which i find a nuisance.

this is my one big gripe with novorapid - it's not ACTUALLY all that rapid. like you i find that a good 20 mins can pass without me seeing an improvement.

that could be from injecting for 19 years though.

this is my one big gripe with novorapid - it's not ACTUALLY all that rapid. like you i find that a good 20 mins can pass without me seeing an improvement.

that could be from injecting for 19 years though.

I agree it takes about 10 mins for me though tonight seemed to work almost straight away which was very odd.

Hmmm i think some experimentation is in order!! 🙂 im going through test strips like anything at the moment i feel like the chemist is my second home!

Yes, i'm glad i'm not alone in this. I was on Actrapid for years and loved it.
Then, one day out the blue, doc told me i couldn't have it anymore!

The new Novorapid has meant i can no longer 'chase the sugars up', if you know what i mean. I've had to cut out a lot of carbs just to keep things on track, what about you?

Yea i try and test 1 and 2 hours after eating and the hourly reading is always higher than the 2 hour reading! i guess this means i missed the spike??

I have managed to cut out alot of carbs from my diet in the past week so that i dont hardly have to inject insulin (thought this may be due to honeymoon period not sure yet)

example: bacon and eggs i dont need insulin, same if i eat a salad with some meat, and also veggies with chicken/fish etc..but i dont eat alot of bread any more and totally avoid rice, pasta and potatoes.

Yea i try and test 1 and 2 hours after eating and the hourly reading is always higher than the 2 hour reading! i guess this means i missed the spike??

I have managed to cut out alot of carbs from my diet in the past week so that i dont hardly have to inject insulin (thought this may be due to honeymoon period not sure yet)

example: bacon and eggs i dont need insulin, same if i eat a salad with some meat, and also veggies with chicken/fish etc..but i dont eat alot of bread any more and totally avoid rice, pasta and potatoes.

If you've only just been diagnosed, then i assume you've never been on Actrapid. This was great 'cause i'd inject and immediately, my levels would go lower. This prevented a spike early on - you just had to watch you didn't go too low; usually, this meant i could enjoy some nice snacks as well a bit later on , I don't have a weight problem, so for me, this was much better.

The Novorapid means, now i can't easily have a high carb meal without having a massive injection, which has serious consequences later on.

Hmmm i think some experimentation is in order!! 🙂 im going through test strips like anything at the moment i feel like the chemist is my second home!

Us too. It's like trying to catch a large ball when you've got gloves on that are three sizes too big and you're wearing roller skates.
Ross ate late this evening - pasta - we're currently trying to get him up from a hypo but I *know* that in an hour or two he'll be sky high with the flaming pasta!

In this case I don't think it would have made any difference if he'd injected afterwards. I agree with what others have already said - you need to find out what foods affect you and how soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back