Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am moving off of lantus and going on to novomix 30 tomorrow (10/11/2009). I will be injecting it twice a day to start with and cutting out the gliclazide (result 4 less tablets a day lol).

Does anyone have any experience of novomix and any tips that they may have please.

Thanks.

Andy

Hi Andy.

I used Novomix 70/30 when I was first diagnosed. I wasn't on it for long, because it didn't suit me and my life style at ALL, so I went onto Novorapid and Lantus. My one piece of advice with mixed insulin would to try and be very regular when you eat, because with the long and short acting mixed together, it'll lower your sugars whether you're eating or not, so you want to watch that it doesn't cause you to hypo!

I hope it all goes really well for you.

Becky

You need to be familiar with the profile of the insulin. With mixed isnulins you have to eat at similar times each days and similar amounts of carb at each meal. You can't vary things too much as you can't adjust your insulin, you have a fixed dose. You will need to check mid morning and in the afternoon to check if you are expereincing lows and highs? You will also likely need a bed time snack.
Hope you get on allright with it

Can't offer any advice, but wanted to say I hope it is a smooth change over with no problems for you. Let us know how you get on.

I am moving off of lantus and going on to novomix 30 tomorrow (10/11/2009). I will be injecting it twice a day to start with and cutting out the gliclazide (result 4 less tablets a day lol).

Does anyone have any experience of novomix and any tips that they may have please.

Thanks.

Andy

Hi

Novomix is one of the mixed insulins with a percentage of long acting and a percentage of fast acting.

You have to have a rigid eating pattern ie breakfast, lunch and dinner at certain time with maybe only 30 minutes window. You may even need snacks at certain times between these meals. However this is how it works for a person with type 1, how it differs for someone with type 2, I don't know.

Good luck and I hope that this helps. 🙂

Many thanks everyone for your help, good wishes and tips. The main one which comes across is the regular eating. My DSN has told me it doesn't work for everyone so it is going to be try it and see how we get on. Hopefully all will be fine 🙂

Andy, your DSN is right so if it doesn't work don't think you have failed, its quite common. I just didn't want to put doom and gloom on here when it is a new thing and it may well work for you. I have my fingers crossed. Good luck.

Hi Andy, I cant contribute as I dont know novomix, but just to say good luck!

When I first went onto insulin I was put on novomix 30 twice a day and I managed to last on it for just over a year... I am much better of now that I am on 5 injections a day (Novorapid and Levimir).. hope it suits you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back