advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
Next week the London Medical Hospital (think its that) is holding afternoons where they demonstrate particular pumps etc - all hands on etc

So i am thinking to take Alex on tuesday to see the medtronic pump, but dont know London very well, have looked on google and it says 2 hour drive from Swindon, dont fancy driving all the way - so wondering if it would be easier/quicker to use car part of the way and then get the train from a certain point? Does anyone have any experience of driving into london - the post code for the hospital is W1U 5HJ, all help greatfully received!🙂Bev

I don't drive, and wouldn't drive in London any way.

My suggestion would be to contact the hospital and find out the transport links. This way you wont have the problem of driving with all the maniac drivers up here or the problem of finding parking.

On a good day it is quicker to go by public transport and on a bad day it is no slower than driving. Also not sure of the hospital is in congestion charge zone.

Sorry I forgot to say good luck, I hope the day is a success for you and Alex.

Hi

I drive in london quite a lot, but know a lot of peeps who try and avoid it, so I would guess if you're slightly hesitant then may be best not to, casue once you're in you've got the stress on parking, and the parking charges!, and congestion charge!

Most Hospitals(I think) have on their websites suggestions of how to reach them by public transport. If you do use public transport, don't forget it's been hot lately, so carry so water of something with you.

Hope you get there safely, and have a good day.

I'd be tempted to get the train the whole way, had a look and it's about an hour to London from Swindon. The hospital is about 1.5miles from Paddington which I think is where you'd come into which is either walkable or a fairly cheap taxi/tube ride.

Hope it goes well.

I used to live in London, and I would never drive there. Public transport is very good there (although most locals would probably complain, they don't know how good they have it)

If I were you, I would take a train then use the tube. Nearest tube would be Baker Street (Which I think is on the Circle Line)

Also, being quite close the the centre of London (W1) parking and traffic would be a nightmare.

Also, treat it as a day out to make it a bit more fun. There's plenty to see and do there. Maybe book a tour bus and river cruise. My children loved it last time we went down there.

Good luck anyway.

public transport enquiry websites

This has national coverage: www.traveline.co.uk
For London, there's www.tfl.gov.uk

I've lived in London, but avoided driving (actually didn't have a driving licence for first period of 3 years, but did for 8 month period later), and used public transport (sometimes bike) then and these days.

Hi all,
Next week the London Medical Hospital (think its that) is holding afternoons where they demonstrate particular pumps etc - all hands on etc

So i am thinking to take Alex on tuesday to see the medtronic pump, but dont know London very well, have looked on google and it says 2 hour drive from Swindon, dont fancy driving all the way - so wondering if it would be easier/quicker to use car part of the way and then get the train from a certain point? Does anyone have any experience of driving into london - the post code for the hospital is W1U 5HJ, all help greatfully received!🙂Bev

If I was going from Swindon I would get an advance purchase train ticket to Paddington. You can save a lot of money.

On the underground take a Bakerloo line train from Paddington towards Elephant & Castle and get off at Baker Street.

I've done you a journey plan on the TfL website where you can click on maps to help you.

http://tinyurl.com/m7om8b

Last edited:
Hi Bev

If you are going on public transport, I would consider getting an Oyster card. You can get cheaper transport with one of those and once you load it up you don't need to worry about getting extra single tickets, which zones you are in, etc. You can put an amount of money on there, or a travelcard or bus pass. This would be especially good if you follow Alan Jardine's idea of making it a day out. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/2732.aspx

I think this is the hospital website, which has a map in the 'contact us' section: http://www.londonmedical.co.uk you could phone them and ask what is the best route.

Bev, another alternative is the "Oxford Tube"/other bus from Thornhill Park and Ride or Oxford Bus Station into London. Parking is free at Thornhill and not too bad a journey from Swindon plus prices are reasonable. You can also buy your Oyster card from the ticket sellers at Thornill to use on the underground or buses. Both buses ultimately stop at/near London Victoria and run every 10-15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back