Advice please

Elizabethe

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I returned from my first long haul flight , Texas, since being diagnosed three years ago. The holiday was relatively good re my diabetes. I returned on Wednesday, the flights incurred delays of 10 hours. Since my return I have struggled to manage my diabetes. My BS are higher than normal even after three hours, not ridiculously high but settling about 9. Ketones are 0.3. Is this just a blip? They do not seem to go below 9.
Luckily I have my annual telephone call with the consultant on Tuesday but am I missing something?
I take 6 units of Toujeo daily
Fiasp at mealtimes.
Thank you in advance.

Hope you had a lovely holiday @Elizabethe

Certainly worth keeping an eye on. It could just be the fallout from the long flight, especially if airports and flying are stressful for you.

But you are also relatively new in your diagnosis, and at some stage you may benefit from additional insulin (either a dose adjustment, or the addition of a rapid meal insulin) - so it’s worth keeping an eye on your overall trends so see if it’s worth contacting your hospital or DSN.

I am guessing it was quite warm in Texas and the weather here in the UK has suddenly become decidedly autumnal. Many people find that they need a bit more basal insulin during the autumn/winter than they do in the spring/summer, so we have a seasonal adjustment to make. I had a few days in Tenerife at the beginning of Sept and it seemed like it was summer when I left but very definitely autumn when I returned and I had to increase my basal insulin to account for that. As mentioned, it could also be that you are coming to the end of your honeymoon period and now need a bit more insulin or perhaps you caught a big on the plane and whilst you may have little or no symptoms, your liver may have increased it's output to fuel your immune system to fight it. It is not uncommon for those of us who track our BG levels closely, to see an increase just before we come down with something and it can act as an early warning sign for us. Hopefully that isn't the case but planes are an ideal environment for bugs to spread.

Back