Advice Please

dotty1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi everyone hope your all well, Im a type 2 and have recently asked for a Libre 2 scensor to keep a check on my blood glucose...Ive recently been put onto the mounjaro injection as my BS were running quite high and I am really struggling... to keep on track Ive been monitoring my levels more up to 6 times per day and this helps as to what I eat and when Im feeling unwell ..also I work full time as a typist and my fingers are sore My GP on my request has denied giving one to me as they advised Im not on 2 types of insulin...Im gutted is this correct :( Thank You for reading

Sadly, that is the case. Unless on insulin, people with type 2 are rarely prescribed test strips, let alone Libre..
However, if your BG is high, a CGM may not be as suitable because they are designed to be more accurate at "normal BG levels" and the readings it provides can be quite erratic when your BG is in double figures.

As an IT person (one who can type), I spend most of my day typing and have not found an issue with sore fingers even when I was finger pricking an average of more than 10 times day. It may be worth reminding yourself about finger pricking techniques and checking the lancet depth is not too deep and "rotating"your fingers (using all of them rather than one or two because they are easier).

Last edited:
You could apply to Abbott Laboratories for a free 2 week trial (one sensor) of their Freestyle Libre 2 system as it can give you some useful information about which foods raise your BG too much and need to be reduced or eliminated from your menu and what sort of exercise is most effective at lowering it etc. As @helli says, you don't qualify for it on prescription and it is not as reliable above range or below range... 3.9-10 being normal range. Many of us Type 1s self funded it for a time before we got it on prescription, so you might consider doing that intermittently if you find the free trial helpful. It isn't cheap at almost £50 a sensor but even though I am pretty low income, I found it well worth while for the info. and confidence it gave but then I use insulin.

Your fingers should not get sore pricking just 6 times a day. I was up to 14-16 times a day some days before I got Libre and did not have sore fingers, so definitely reassess your finger pricking technique. Are they sore from squeezing to get blood or from the actual pricks or both?

Hey...Thanks for reading and your advice I will have a look at the lancet depth etc...Im really trying to better mysen thanks again means a lot x

Hey...Thanks for reading and your advice I will have a look at the lancet depth etc...Im really trying to better mysen thanks again means a lot x
It might not be the lancet depth but the lancing device you use. I got sore fingers on the original lancing device and boy it hurt. I got a fast Clix one. It is almost like a pen and you push it on and it is instant it does not go deep. I get a tiny minute cut and it sometimes closes before I have got the blood. 1723698688182.png1723698710734.png

Do you need to fingerprick 6 times a day? You say you need to do it to keep on track but what are you doing with the information you get? Are you testing in a structured way and taking specific actions based on the numbers you see?

If not I’d just cut back on the testing, you’re not taking insulin so there’s no medication changes you’re making as a result of the numbers you see.

It might not be the lancet depth but the lancing device you use. I got sore fingers on the original lancing device and boy it hurt. I got a fast Clix one. It is almost like a pen and you push it on and it is instant it does not go deep. I get a tiny minute cut and it sometimes closes before I have got the blood. View attachment 31233View attachment 31234
I recommend fastclix, have used it for years

Hi everyone hope your all well, Im a type 2 and have recently asked for a Libre 2 scensor to keep a check on my blood glucose...Ive recently been put onto the mounjaro injection as my BS were running quite high and I am really struggling... to keep on track Ive been monitoring my levels more up to 6 times per day and this helps as to what I eat and when Im feeling unwell ..also I work full time as a typist and my fingers are sore My GP on my request has denied giving one to me as they advised Im not on 2 types of insulin...Im gutted is this correct :( Thank You for reading
Interestingly I was told to stop monitoring my sugar so often. Only twice a week now but it scares me not knowing!!!!

Just to balance the argument, I bought a Fastclix just to try it and don't find it appreciably better so don't routinely use it, but I don't have a problem with any lancing device making my fingers sore anyway. The lancet drums for the Fastclix are more expensive (although very convenient) but it depends on whether you change the lancet every time or once a year like us hardened St Swithin's day members 🙄, as to whether that expense is significant or negligible.

Just to balance the argument, I bought a Fastclix just to try it and don't find it appreciably better so don't routinely use it, but I don't have a problem with any lancing device making my fingers sore anyway. The lancet drums for the Fastclix are more expensive (although very convenient) but it depends on whether you change the lancet every time or once a year like us hardened St Swithin's day members 🙄, as to whether that expense is significant or negligible.
I have a stock of thr drums, as I bought when Boots had them on offer.

The same goes for the drums of fastClix I do not move it around and it lasts me more than a week instead of a day.... The individual lancelets I throw away every time but sometimes it went others no. it really is what you are used to. the fastClix works every time for me.

Back