Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bispers

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
She/Her
In 2023 my HbA1C level was 44. I have now reduced it to 40.

I asked my GP whether that meant I am still pre-diabetic and she said that if you have diabetes you can go into remission.

So am I ‘in remission’ from pre-diabetes, no longer pre-diabetic (obviously still needing to be careful)?

I’d be grateful for clarification please.

Many thanks.

In 2023 my HbA1C level was 44. I have now reduced it to 40.

I asked my GP whether that meant I am still pre-diabetic and she said that if you have diabetes you can go into remission.

So am I ‘in remission’ from pre-diabetes, no longer pre-diabetic (obviously still needing to be careful)?

I’d be grateful for clarification please.

Many thanks.
Welcome to the forum
Prediabetic is an HbA1C of 42-47mmol/mol so you never had a diabetic diagnosis. Below 42mmol/mol would be normal so that is where you are now. If you made dietary changes to reduce your HbA1C then it is likely you will need to maintain those changes to remain in the normal zone as that would suggest your body is struggling to cope with carbohydrates ad as such it would be easy to slip upwards again.
Remission normally refers to those who have had a diabetic diagnosis and have reduced their HbA1C to below 48mmol/mol and are not taking medication. I personally find this odd as it is still not at normal level or even prediabetic.

Welcome to the forum
Prediabetic is an HbA1C of 42-47mmol/mol so you never had a diabetic diagnosis. Below 42mmol/mol would be normal so that is where you are now. If you made dietary changes to reduce your HbA1C then it is likely you will need to maintain those changes to remain in the normal zone as that would suggest your body is struggling to cope with carbohydrates ad as such it would be easy to slip upwards again.
Remission normally refers to those who have had a diabetic diagnosis and have reduced their HbA1C to below 48mmol/mol and are not taking medication. I personally find this odd as it is still not at normal level or even prediabetic.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back