Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ley

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi. I'm new here, just needed some advice regarding diabetes please.

Welcome @ley 🙂 Ask away. What would you like advice about in particular?

Hi. Thanks. I have been keeping a eye on my glucose levels on a monitor its been reading 8.3 7.1 & 8.1 is this something I should be concerned about. This was over a 3weeks.

When did you do the tests @ley ? That is, first thing in the morning, X minutes after breakfast, etc.

Ok, well it would depend when you last ate, but in people without diabetes, blood sugar can go up to the 10s occasionally and often up to the 8s.

What made you buy the glucose meter? Are you having symptoms? Worried because of your weight? The blood glucose meters aren’t for diagnostic purposes. If you’re concerned you might be pre-diabetic or diabetic, your GP can do a blood test from your arm called an HbA1C test which will give you a definite answer @ley

OK great, thanks for your advice, I will probably call my Dr on Monday to arrange for a test just to put my mind at ease. Thank you

Here’s some information about the test @ley

Occasionally doctors will give you the result in the old units, eg 6.5% rather than a two or three digit number, so be aware of that. Even if they do, there are charts that help you convert the number into the new units so you can get an idea of exactly where you are.

Hi. Thanks. I have been keeping a eye on my glucose levels on a monitor its been reading 8.3 7.1 & 8.1 is this something I should be concerned about. This was over a 3weeks.
One of the criteria people are mindful of when diagnosed is that they aim for their blood glucose reading 2 hours after eating to be no more than 8.5mmol/l, and more than 2 hours you would be expecting the reading to go down so that by the time of their next meal it would be in the range 4-7mmol/l.
So whether your readings indicate anything other than normal depends on when you took them.
If you are worried then yes ask your GP to do a check up blood test.

Reactions: ley
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back