Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunnyside

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi , I have been fighting a sore throat and sinus problem for the past three weeks and just can’t get my blood sugars down . I’m eating properly and exercising. I’m type 2 diet controlled . I have been taking OTC meds to help with these infections . When can I expect to see a change in my results ? . I am due my annual blood test for Hba1c and really don’t want to go and have it as it will be a false reading as I know that Sudafed can raise blood sugars !! Any advice would be great xx thank you

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear you are poorly and battling a stubborn virus. It is usually the virus itself which causes out BG levels to rise more than medication. What sort of levels are you seeing?

Not sure if you are aware but your profile shows you as Type 1 rather than Type 2 which might confuse people, so it would be helpful if you could amend that to show Type 2. If you click on your member name at the top right hand side of the page and then select and click on Account details and scroll down, you will be able to click Type 2 instead of the Type 1 option which you currently have selected and then click save in the blue box at the bottom and that should change it.

Aside from drinking plenty of water to help flush the glucose out of your system and walking if you feel up to it, there is not a lot you can do, but if your levels are very high then you need to get in touch with your nurse or GP and see if they can offer you some medication to help bring them down. Please don't soldier on and think that you are somehow failing if you need medication because you are putting your health at risk in doing so. I know we all get a bit fixated on the numbers at times and trying to do without medication or reduce it, but when you are poorly, your body needs extra help and if your levels remain high, it will take longer for your body to fight off the illness. Sometimes you have to be sensible and realistic about this and the medication doesn't necessarily have to be for the rest of your life, perhaps just to get you over this illness, if you are then able to return to managing your levels through diet and exercise.... if that is what you want to do.

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear you are poorly and battling a stubborn virus. It is usually the virus itself which causes out BG levels to rise more than medication. What sort of levels are you seeing?

Not sure if you are aware but your profile shows you as Type 1 rather than Type 2 which might confuse people, so it would be helpful if you could amend that to show Type 2. If you click on your member name at the top right hand side of the page and then select and click on Account details and scroll down, you will be able to click Type 2 instead of the Type 1 option which you currently have selected and then click save in the blue box at the bottom and that should change it.

Aside from drinking plenty of water to help flush the glucose out of your system and walking if you feel up to it, there is not a lot you can do, but if your levels are very high then you need to get in touch with your nurse or GP and see if they can offer you some medication to help bring them down. Please don't soldier on and think that you are somehow failing if you need medication because you are putting your health at risk in doing so. I know we all get a bit fixated on the numbers at times and trying to do without medication or reduce it, but when you are poorly, your body needs extra help and if your levels remain high, it will take longer for your body to fight off the illness. Sometimes you have to be sensible and realistic about this and the medication doesn't necessarily have to be for the rest of your life, perhaps just to get you over this illness, if you are then able to return to managing your levels through diet and exercise.... if that is what you want to do.
Hi Thank you for all of your good advice . I’ve now changed my type on my profile . My highest level was 14.2 which for me seems quite high but I must say I feel fine in myself. I will carry on with my walking and water drinking regime until I feel better then brave the doctor for my blood test I think x
Many thanks , Sara

14 isn't desperately high but if it goes above med teens or into the 20s and won't come down then definitely seek help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back