advice please on glucose levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I woke with a reading of 3.1, ate half a banana and some porridge and 2 hours later its this!

So a raise of 21 in 2 hours! does this mean my meter is broken or should I call my doctor, a little scared to be honest.

Attachments

• 2 hours after eating.jpg
    2 hours after eating.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 8
  • waking reading 15th August.jpg
    waking reading 15th August.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 8
Maybe the first reading was off, or maybe the battery is running low

but 11.8 is still a massive rise from 3.1, its 8 up :( Maybe the first reading wasnt accurate. I am working so hard to get this right but sometimes it feels whatever I do makes no difference :(

It is a big rise but often in the morning we’re at our most insulin resistant, and also it’s possible your body pumped out some glucose to start the day, and that and your breakfast pushed you up. See how long it takes to come down, but don’t panic. Maybe do something active - a walk, housework - anything rather than just sit down. Keep hydrated too, and that 11 should make its way back down gradually.

I am not surprised by a rise of 8 in 3 hours after breakfast.
There is likely to be a number of things happening to cause the rise
- carbs. Both banana and porridge are high in carbs. I don't know about your porridge but I approximate 25g of carbs in an average banana.
- Dawn Phenomenon/Foot on the Floor. Our helpful livers dump glucose to help us start the day.
- Stress. Sounds as if your readings surprised and stressed you. Stress causes our levels to rise. It is our liver dumping more glucose to give us energy to fight or flight.

As others have said, if you get an unexpected reading, wash your hands and retest.

If you get a confirmed reading below 4, take care not to over react.

I am not surprised by a rise of 8 in 3 hours after breakfast.
There is likely to be a number of things happening to cause the rise
- carbs. Both banana and porridge are high in carbs. I don't know about your porridge but I approximate 25g of carbs in an average banana.
- Dawn Phenomenon/Foot on the Floor. Our helpful livers dump glucose to help us start the day.
- Stress. Sounds as if your readings surprised and stressed you. Stress causes our levels to rise. It is our liver dumping more glucose to give us energy to fight or flight.

As others have said, if you get an unexpected reading, wash your hands and retest.

If you get a confirmed reading below 4, take care not to over react.
Thank you @helli I did over react this morning, I think it was because I woke up at 5am feeling really odd, almost drunk and thought I should check my levels and then panicked when they were so low, I was advised by a friend to have a jelly baby or orange juice but didn't have any of them to hand, so had my normal porridge and added half a banana, but maybe because this reading was so early on, it was just before my liver pumped out glucose so I shouldn't have had the half a banana, would it be better to wait or have a jelly baby if it happens again, would a jelly baby be better than half a banana? Sorry still learning all this and have only had high levels so wasn't sure how to treat low levels

@Jenny65 when our levels are low, we need fast acting carbs such as jelly babies or juice. Banana and porridge are slower acting so not ideal.

Bananas send my BG up a fair bit... I can understand how upset you must have felt with a reading like that.. but it's obviously not accurate. Just keep testing today and see how things go. I've just had a reading of 7.7 four hours after eating.. I'm taking antibiotics and I think they have affected my BG because I never have a reading like that so long after food. Like others have said, it could be a mixture of lots of things so wait and see. Which machine do you have?

Bananas send my BG up a fair bit... I can understand how upset you must have felt with a reading like that.. but it's obviously not accurate. Just keep testing today and see how things go. I've just had a reading of 7.7 four hours after eating.. I'm taking antibiotics and I think they have affected my BG because I never have a reading like that so long after food. Like others have said, it could be a mixture of lots of things so wait and see. Which machine do you have?
I havent tested again, I feel like I should focus on eating 3 healthy low carb meals a day and lose weight, drink water and exercise, I have become a little fixated on numbers which as my own GP hasnt told me to monitor my own glucose I wonder if I should take a step back.

That being said I have just received my second lot of blood test results for liver enzymes and they appear to be improving on the ones I had taken in June. I am very pleased about being in the normal levels for amylase as that indicates my pancreas is working, still producing insulin and not got inflammation which is a relief after the scan I had.

Protein - June - 83 g/l - August - 83 g/l - Within normal range - No change
Albumin - June - 47 g/l - August - 47 g/l - within normal range = No change
Bilirubin - June - 8umol/L - August - 5umol/L - normal but reduced by 3
Alkaline Phosphatase - June - 157 iu/L - August - 143/iu/L Both over range but reduced by 14 in 2 mths
ALT - June - 68 iu/L August - 48iu/L - Both higher than normal but reduced by 20 in 2 months
Amylase - 39 - within normal only tested in August
Folate 4.9 ug/l - normal - only tested in August.

That’s really good news! My GP said I didn’t need a monitor but I’d never know how I was doing without it so I’m glad I got one. You do what’s right for you though. If it’s stressing you out it’s not worth it.

Your profile indicates that you are not taking any medication so I am puzzled why you are eating bananas and porridge - wouldn't it be better to be on a low carb diet and ensure that you don't have high readings?
In these really hot conditions it is very easy to become dehydrates and that can cause dizziness and other odd feelings.

Your profile indicates that you are not taking any medication so I am puzzled why you are eating bananas and porridge - wouldn't it be better to be on a low carb diet and ensure that you don't have high readings?
In these really hot conditions it is very easy to become dehydrates and that can cause dizziness and other odd feelings.
Hi @Drummer it wasnt the feelings of being unwell that made me eat a banana it was the low reading of 3.1 I panicked but I am not going to take my readings anymore and stick to a low carb diet regardless. 🙂

Hi @Drummer it wasnt the feelings of being unwell that made me eat a banana it was the low reading of 3.1 I panicked but I am not going to take my readings anymore and stick to a low carb diet regardless. 🙂
I probably got the wrong end of the stick - I'm a bit woozy at the moment, my daughter sent down with Covid over the weekend, and now my temperature is going up. We spent the evening together last Thursday....
You being a type 2 don't really need to be concerned about low readings. I suspect that you were a bit dehydrated and would have come around with several glasses of water, as without medication type 2s would not have a hypo of the sort a type 1 could experience with too much injected insulin.

I don’t suppose the grumpy face on your monitor helps with anxiety. Never seen one that does that before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back