Advice please - 21 year old son 4 days diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becky3466

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi there. Looking for some advice. My son had DKA Tuesday evening and was subsequently diagnosed with type 1. Home from hospital with insulin pen etc. He is worried as his current blood glucose reading is 11.2. He doesn't want to take an extra unit of insulin in case he drops too low. Help! Thank you!

At such an early stage, 11.2 isn’t a bad thing! What was his levels upon diagnosis? And what’s his insulin plan?
im only 4 months in to type 1 but I know you have no need to worry at 11.2 what so ever

At such an early stage, 11.2 isn’t a bad thing! What was his levels upon diagnosis? And what’s his insulin plan?
im only 4 months in to type 1 but I know you have no need to worry at 11.2 what so ever
His initial readings were over 16, he had one of 22.8! He takes a long acting insulin every morning, then insulin before each meal. I think because he has done so much reading he is just a little worried. This has reassured me!

When did he last eat?
you have ZERO to worry about.
I take my long aching at night (levemir 14 units) and aim for a reading of 8 before bed

He ate about 6ish, and we are really making an effort to watch carbs etc. It's. Massive learning curve isn't it! Thank you, he is feeling better now
Be careful of reducing carbs too much as his team may be setting his doses based on what he normally eats. Does he have follow up appointments booked? It’s best to bring levels down slowly so don’t panic about being 11.2, it can actually cause damage to your eyes if you go from high diagnosis levels to normal levels too quickly.

Be careful of reducing carbs too much as his team may be setting his doses based on what he normally eats. Does he have follow up appointments booked? It’s best to bring levels down slowly so don’t panic about being 11.2, it can actually cause damage to your eyes if you go from high diagnosis levels to normal levels too quickly.
Ooo didn't know that! Thank u. Its all so new to us, that's why I joined Diabetes UK. Fab advice, thank you!

Hi Becky3466, welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear about your sons' diagnosis. It sounds as though things are OK at the moment but I just wanted to pop in and share our helpline number.

You can give us a call if you have any kind of questions or concerns and we'll be happy to have a chat on 0345 123 2399.

Hiya, I was also diagnosed at the age of 21 (back in June) so I definitely relate to this situation.

11.3 is pretty normal just after diagnosis, my bedtime readings were constantly above 14 and as high as 19, but they do settle down eventually. A friend of mine who was diagnosed in February reassured me that you have to be extremely off the ball to return to DKA levels.

Starting carb counting already is very good, as long as it’s just counting. As stated previously, it’s best to eat normally so that you can see how much insulin you will need. At this early stage, corrections may muddle things (unless told by a DSN) but I could be wrong on that and someone will hopefully correct me if that’s the case.

Wishing him well as he starts this steep learning curve 🙂

Hi Becky3466, welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear about your sons' diagnosis. It sounds as though things are OK at the moment but I just wanted to pop in and share our helpline number.

You can give us a call if you have any kind of questions or concerns and we'll be happy to have a chat on 0345 123 2399.
Thank you! I shall pass this on to him

Hiya, I was also diagnosed at the age of 21 (back in June) so I definitely relate to this situation.

11.3 is pretty normal just after diagnosis, my bedtime readings were constantly above 14 and as high as 19, but they do settle down eventually. A friend of mine who was diagnosed in February reassured me that you have to be extremely off the ball to return to DKA levels.

Starting carb counting already is very good, as long as it’s just counting. As stated previously, it’s best to eat normally so that you can see how much insulin you will need. At this early stage, corrections may muddle things (unless told by a DSN) but I could be wrong on that and someone will hopefully correct me if that’s the case.

Wishing him well as he starts this steep learning curve 🙂
Thank you! It's such a lot to get our heads around. I have advised him to be cautious re carbs and being too drastic. The advice on my post had been so helpful! Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back