Advice on testing blood sugar pls- type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Healthier

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi can anyone help me with how to test blood sugar and why.

I am type 2 so unsure how much this will help?

My blood sugar has been high for over a year now. I can’t get it down.

It was 100 I got it to 70 now it’s up to 80 again.

I’m losing weight Iv lost a stone which usually lowers it so I’m concerned.

Doctor keep swooping my medication to no change.

Any advice on testing appreciated , I am a massage therapist so I do worry about pricking my fingers and hygiene:/

There are two reason for routine blood testing using a finger prick monitor.

The first, and by far the biggest, is that you can see what effect your diet has on your blood glucose by testing before and after eating. By doing this you can find the things that give the biggest rises and change them for things that don't. The feed back is instantaneous and powerful. The second is that you can, for example, by testing first thing in the morning see "how you are doing", very useful if you are using weight loss as a way of reducing blood glucose.

The reason given in the NICE guidelines for not blood testing is that the patient might become obsessive about testing and this might lead to harm. The other reason, and one suspects the real reason, is the cost. Each time a finger prick is done you need a new test strip to put in your meter and these cost 40p or more each and over time the cost builds up, especially if you are doing several tests a day.

You will find that the vast majority of T2 forum members think that the upsides from testing far outweigh the downsides and most who have gone that route will say that the meter has been the most important factor in getting things under control.

At those HbA1c levels your GP might be prescribing a sulphonurea, usually something called gliclazide. If so, then the NICE guidelines give them the option of prescribing a meter because that class of drug can cause your blood glucose to go too low and that can be dangerous, particularly if you drive.

PS... I don't think anybody sees hygiene around finger pricking to be a problem, I certainly don't!

Morning @Healthier are you testing your blood glucose levels at all yourself? The figures you give ov 100, 70 and 80 look like the HbA1c figure that you'd get at the doctors. If you test at home, it'll be a lower figure like 7mmol/L or similar.
I have one of the meters recommended by other people on the forum as it's got cheaper supplies to go with it, it's the Gluco Navii and I bought it from Amazon. I also bought a sharps bin for the lancets and test strips to go in, though I understand that you can get them on prescription from some GPs.
Can I ask if you've been on an education course with the NHS about your diabetes or received any diet advice from a dietician or the diabetes nurse at your surgery?
I'm wondering what sorts of food you're eating, as they affect your blood glucose levels. If you eat sweet stuff like sweets, biscuits and cakes, or other carbohydrates like bread, potatoes, pasta, rice and couscous, it'll also put your BG levels up.
Can you keep a food diary when you get the BG monitor and see what each meal does to your levels? So if you have a baked potato with cheese, is it higher than if you have a kipper and salad (or whatever you like to eat). You can fine tune your meals to reduce your BG, and get them down that way.
There's some information here about testing, but ask any questions you have and I'm sure people will be happy to help.

I test in the mornings before breakfast, and before and then 2 hours after a meal if it's something I haven't eaten and tested with before. So I usually have omelette for breakfast, so don't test after that, as I know it's not going to put my BG up, but yesterday I had porridge and I did test after that.

I can't advise about the hygiene side of finger pricking and working as a massage therapist, hopefully someone else will have a bit of knowledge on that.
Cheers, Sarah
PS looks like Docb beat me to the first reply!

All good advice in the above. If you have a GlucoNavil monitor then the cost per test strip is more like 15p. That would be the best investment you could make to help you get your levels down.
Do keep in touch with the forum as you will get lots of good suggestions.
Can you give some idea of typical meals you have as people can make suggestions as to where you may be able to make some savings on your carbohydrate intake.
Keeping a food diary noting everything you eat and drink and try to estimate how much TOTAL carb you are having then look to cutting that down by a third for a few weeks then another third until you reach where you want or need to be to get and keep your blood glucose levels down. For many people that will be between 50 and 130g per day. But everybody is an individual and depending on any meds etc will need to find what suits them and that will be by testing.

I test when I’m first up in the morning.
I test before/after some meals but not always.
I test after exercise and also increase testing frequency if I’m coming down with a cold or something.

For me it’s not been a case of keeping a food diary as many have but it’s made me mindful of what I eat and the balance between good and not so good stuff. GP told me not to bother about testing but I’m glad I did as it made me sit up and take notice of my T2.

Don't worry about finger-pricking hygiene unless you have a depressed immune system; the risk of problems is about zero. If you are losing weight unexpectedly then you need to consider being T1 and not T2. If you are currently normal weight and still losing weight then ask the GP for the two tests for T1 i.e. GAD and C-Peptide. Some GPs just assume T2. I've been down that route. Do check your BS regularly with a meter and if you can afford it, consider self-funding a Freestyle Libre 2 sensor which avoids finger-pricking much of the time

My gluco navii meter came with an adaptor end which allows a bg 'prick' test to be taken from elsewhere other than the finger (forearms and upper arms).
As a t2 taking the tests was and is really useful for knowing which foods I can tolerate or not and more importantly to me it makes it REAL in a way that taking a couple of pills twice a day doesn't, again I'm another who the doc advised not to bother with it and I'm glad I didn't follow her advice on this.

Hi can anyone help me with how to test blood sugar and why.
I am type 2 so unsure how much this will help?
Beginning with why. Trying to manage type 2 without testing to see what is going on in your blood glucose levels is like trying to fly a light plane through the Alps in a blizzard with no instruments. You might land safely but the odds are against it.
My blood sugar has been high for over a year now. I can’t get it down.
It was 100 I got it to 70 now it’s up to 80 again.
Is that your HbA1c or is it blood glucose levels in mg/dl? If it is mg/dl am I right in suspecting you only test your fasting blood glucose and don't test often? Actually, all of those numbers are fine if that is the case. Maybe you don't have a problem at all. If testing after meals never leads to results over 140 mg/dl (~8mmol/l) then ignore the ideas I suggest below.

But if that is A1c you need to have a close look at your way of eating. You might also need to discuss a possible need for medication or insulin with your doctor if dietary adjustment does not lead to swift improvement.
I’m losing weight Iv lost a stone which usually lowers it so I’m concerned.
Weight loss if necessary helps but is not the main goal. Your menu might be OK to lose weight but still need adjustment for better blood glucose levels.
Doctor keep swooping my medication to no change.

Any advice on testing appreciated , I am a massage therapist so I do worry about pricking my fingers and hygiene:/
Sorry about the wall of text; I am trying reduce how often I post links.

First, how to test. Do not use an alcohol swab to clean the test site unless there is no other choice. Repeated use of alcohol over time for that purpose will dry out the site and may cause skin problems.

If possible wash your hands in warm soapy water, rinse well and shake them to get the circulation going. Check your lancet-holder; it should be adjustable. Mine is a Soft-clix, made by Roche and is usually painless. That brand has an excellent reputation among the diabetics I know, but any good lancet device should do the job. I get an occasional tiny sting and it lets me know if it's getting blunt sometimes, but I tested over 5000 times in the first four years after diagnosis, before I stopped counting, without any trauma. That's from a guy who was, and is, needle-phobic.

Start with the second lowest setting (1 or 1.5), hold it firmly against your skin on the side of a finger near the tip. Don't flinch when you release the button. The button releases a spring-loaded tiny needle which makes a tiny hole in your skin and instantly retracts. Using the side of your finger-tip has two advantages: there are less nerve-ends than on the pads, and it doubles the number of test-points so you can rotate through the positions.

Massage gently (milking a cow) until a drop of blood forms sufficient to put on the test strip. If this setting doesn't provide an adequate quantity, move the lancet setting up one notch for the next one. If you got a large sample and it hurt a little, go to the lower setting.

And that's all there is to it. Sometimes it helps to shake your hands a little more, or warm them up if it's cold.

The manufacturers advise changing the lancet needle every time; I change mine when I remember or if it gets a bit blunt. I have never had an infection as a result of doing that, nor have I ever heard of it happening from the people I talk to on the web. You do what you are comfortable with, subject to doctor's orders.

How often to test. Any test is wasted if it neither informs nor confirms some information. The tests prescribed by your medics are designed to help them analyse your progress, to assist in their decisions for your treatment - but they do very little to help you personally manage your diabetes. The doctor wants to see your "static" numbers, not the ones that might be very high or low as a result of the carbs you ate, or ignored, at your last meal.

And that's why I add those one-hour post-prandial (after-eating) tests - they help me directly. They are the "dynamic" numbers that showed the direct effect of the food I ate and the exercise I did. I call them one-hour, but the real term should be "peak" or maximum "spike"; mine is one-hour but you'll have to find your own. I don't think the timing of the spike is as important as it's peak level and duration.

Think about it logically. Why would a spike of 10(180) affect you any differently if it occurred at 30, 60, 90 or 120 minutes? It's duration would be a factor - but post-prandial timing of the actual peak should be irrelevant. It still got to that peak, no matter when it occurred.

So, I learned to find my peak. That is slightly different, but reasonably predictable, with different foods and meal mixtures. Drinks, like OJ, spike me very quickly within 30 minutes and drop just as quickly. Which is why some people use them as hypo treatment. Starchy carbs, without much fat, will spike me in 30-45 minutes. But add fat - and it's about 60 minutes. A normal meal combining moderate fat, protein and low GI carbs leads to a peak at 45-75 minutes for me, and so on. That's why I settled on using the 1hr post-prandial test as my guide, but I occasionally do a 30 minute one if the food was low-fat and high-GI.

What to do with the results. Start with whatever you eat now.

Eat, then test after eating at your spike time and if BG’s are too high then review what you ate and change the menu next time. Then do that again, and again, and again until what you eat doesn’t spike you. You will get some surprises, particularly at breakfast time. The so-called "heart-healthy" breakfasts are NOT for most type 2's. Similarly, you will find variations through the day - the same thing will have different effects at breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. But I can't say how they will affect others - only how it affected me - which is why we all need to test ourselves.

As you gradually improve your blood glucose levels, review the resulting way of eating to ensure adequate nutrition, fibre etc are included and adjust accordingly.

Then test again.

Test, review, adjust, always towards better and better blood glucose levels.

And no - you won't have to test so intensively for the rest of your life. As time goes on and you build your knowledge you won't need to test as often because many of your results will become predictable as your numbers improve. You will be building your own personal Glycemic Load database. As that happens you can reduce the intensive testing to "maintenance" levels. I still do two or three fasting tests and several one-hour post-prandial tests randomly each week. Just to be sure that things aren't changing. I may do a few more if I am adding a new dish to the menu or trying a new restaurant. But I no longer need to test after every meal or snack.

Thank you so much very kind of you all , it can be so over whelming - the results I said were HBA1C Iv never tested before.
Here goes….

You'll be fine with the testing @Healthier, I was very cowardly and I'm fine testing myself. I got the first few wrong as I couldn't work out which way the test strip went into the meter, and couldn't work out how to get the top off the lancet pen, but it's fine when you get past that! I couldn't even tell you which finger I've pricked ten minutes later.
I searched on youtube for the model I have, gluco navii, and watched someone else do their BG test, made it easier getting the strip in the right way round and the top off the lancet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back