Advice on Omad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve711

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I already do low carb and 16/8 intermittent fasting but want to speed things up a bit. I am thinking of having just one meal a day two days a week to help things a bit . Has anyone tried this and how did you get on ?

Last edited:
I haven't done OMAD intentionally to any sort of pattern or routine, but sometimes it just happens on a low carb, higher fat way of eating, simply because I am not hungry and I have been busy and not had time or inclination to eat another meal that day. Not sure I would want to plan it for set days or anything, because if you are particularly hungry that day, you may be even hungrier the next, which could lead to you falling off the wagon and binging, but if you simply feel you don't need to eat another meal some days, then don't.

As regards speeding things up, diabetes is a marathon not a sprint so you are best pacing yourself rather than sprinting at the start and then running out of steam in a year or two and reverting to old bad habits.

In my case nothing so extreme. I'm finding I'm getting along fine by eating to a bog-standard breakfast/lunch/dinner timetable but keeping my carbs under a sustainable 130g per day. I don't eat after 9pm and I'm usually up at 7am, so I'm happy that those10 hours without eating or drinking anything is enough of a fast.

Many Thanks for replies. I am on HBA1c of 51 at the moment and diet controlled and really dont want medication. This is why i am asking its just to help it along a little.

Last edited:
I occasionally did OMAD - very occasionally planned but more often randomly e.g. when I just don't feel hungry or time was such that one meal rather than my normal two per day was more practical. I really didn't find it an issue from a hunger/energy point of view (but then I have done the very occasional fast too ). I do tend to notice my finger prick readings are a bit lower the day after.

I have an odd relationship to skipped food. If I’m stuck into something and realise it’s lunchtime I’ll just think, “Oh I’ll go and eat in a bit” and then suddenly it’s 4pm and not really worth it any more.

But…

If I decide I need to do a fasting basal check and need to intentionally skip a meal I end up starving and longing for the minutes to pass!

I have an odd relationship to skipped food. If I’m stuck into something and realise it’s lunchtime I’ll just think, “Oh I’ll go and eat in a bit” and then suddenly it’s 4pm and not really worth it any more.

But…

If I decide I need to do a fasting basal check and need to intentionally skip a meal I end up starving and longing for the minutes to pass!
Not odd at all to me, since I'm more or less the same!

@Steve711 I, can I ask what it is you want to “ speed up a bit”?

Weight loss and my numbers
Provided your OMAD is a similar size to your usual meals, and not significantly more, you may speed up weight loss, and maybe even the numbers (I am assuming to be blood sugars), a bit, but if you do decide to go ahead, I suggest you do your OMAD days on busy days. The distraction of being busy helps remove the routine of more usual mealtimes.

If you do OMAD, please remember to continue to hydrate properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back