Advice on driving type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jah59

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Is it more dangerous to have low blood glucose then high blood glucose?
Is it safe to drive whilst taking metformin?
Only my line manager thinks she has to take me off the road until she has spoken to occupational health. My understanding is that the only side effect of metformin is a looser bowel movement and that it’s a perfectly safe drug to take. Surely it’s safer to be on the correct dosage which will help correct my high blood glucose which according to my GP is 73 or 8.8

Both low (hypo) and high sugars can be potentially dangerous. Low sugar can affect the brain and decision-making/reaction times, and high sugar can affect the eyesight and also make you feel ill and fuzzy-headed.

Here are some leaflets from the DVLA. I don’t think you have to fill in the Diabetes form if you’re only on Metformin, but it’s always wise to check:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-drivers-with-diabetes

Only my line manager thinks she has to take me off the road until she has spoken to occupational health. My understanding is that the only side effect of metformin is a looser bowel movement and that it’s a perfectly safe drug to take. Surely it’s safer to be on the correct dosage which will help correct my high blood glucose which according to my GP is 73 or 8.8
There are rules about driving when taking insulin or other medications which could cause low blood glucose but metformin is not one of those and there is no obligation to inform the DVLA. The information leaflet in the medication should have information which you can show them.
It is taken by millions. Common sense comes into it and people should not drive if they feel unwell anyway as it could be a distraction.

Your line manager is way out of order.
You do not have to inform the DVLA regarding taking Metformin either, thus you carry on as normal regarding your driving and it certainly is nothing what so ever to do with your line manager or her responsibility to police who drives on the road.

Have to agree with all the above. I work in the NHS and the nurses I work with state confidently that metformin doesn't cause hypos (that's not to say you can't get them, but that's usually due to spiking and crashing and not the medication). I suspect it's a case of CYA...ie your manager covering their ass.

Depends on your job, and what and where you drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back