Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trisha66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm looking for some advice please. After being taken off my diabetes medication Metformin 500mg x 2 twice a day , for 2 months, I have now been prescribed with sitagliptin 100mg to be taken one a day. Previously my BG was in the 18 to 28 range and my hb1ac increased from 60 to 82. After three weeks my daily BG is still in the same range. I have an appointment booked for April, but I am unsure whether to request an appointment before then. Any advice would be appreciated.

Those levels are high and must be making you feel unwell. I'd try to get an appointment.

Thank you for your reply. I intend to contact the doctors tomorrow morning. I feel ok but have been monitoring my BG and completing a food diary, and my BG levels are still high.

Thank you for your reply. I intend to contact the doctors tomorrow morning. I feel ok but have been monitoring my BG and completing a food diary, and my BG levels are still high.
What sort of food are you eating?

A typical day would be 1 slice of toast (wholemeal bread) for breakfast. Omelette or poached eggs for lunch, and steak or chicken with vegetables for evening meal. I usually have a protein bar as a snack and try and drink at least a litre and a half of water. I don't get much exercise, however I've lost about 4 stone in the last 2 years.

Ok, so that's already pretty low carb. Well done on the weight loss!

Sorry to hear you‘ve been having a tough time with your diabetes @Trisha66 :(

Do you think there is any possibility that you may have a different type of diabetes than type 2?

It seems like your BGs have been rising fairly steadily since 2016, you have been losing weight, and despite what sounds like a fairly low carb daily intake your levels are really quite high.

Some types of diabetes like LADA can look a lot like T2 to begin with but as the autoimmune attack continues to destroy beta cells over time, the body’s ability to keep glucose levels down begins to struggle.

Might be worth asking the question if your levels keep not responding to oral meds?

@everydayupsanddowns said:

Sorry to hear you‘ve been having a tough time with your diabetes @Trisha66

Do you think there is any possibility that you may have a different type of diabetes than type 2?

It seems like your BGs have been rising fairly steadily since 2016, you have been losing weight, and despite what sounds like a fairly low carb daily intake your levels are really quite high.

Some types of diabetes like LADA can look a lot like T2 to begin with but as the autoimmune attack continues to destroy beta cells over time, the body’s ability to keep glucose levels down begins to struggle.

Might be worth asking the question if your levels keep not responding to oral meds?

@Trisha66 replied

I'm still waiting to speak to a nurse. I have thought this for a while but have always been told I shouldn't be self testing. My waking BG this morning was 17.8

** Edited by moderator to remove formatting errors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update on previous posts. I have now been contacted by the nurse who has added 40mg of Glicazide to my 100mg of Sitagliptin and has arranged a review for 27th February. Hopefully this will bring my BG down. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has or is taking Glicazide. Thanks to everyone who has responded to my post and given very positive advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back