Advice needed: Running out of insulin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay P

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Okay firstly, I know I'm an idiot for running out of insulin but I really need some advice on what to do.

I'm currently at home in South London for the Easter break but for most of the year I'm at university in the Midlands and that's where my GP is. Before leaving for the holidays I made sure to pick up a new prescription to last me for the weeks that I would be away from university, but unfortunately my bag was stolen at the weekend with my prescription in it, and by that point I was already home away from my GP. I called the GP on Monday and they said that I needed to send them a stamped envelope with my home address on it, so they could send me a new prescription, so I've done that. Now I'm waiting for my prescription to arrive but I'm running really low on both levamir and novorapid - only a few days supply left in each - and I don't know when my prescription is going to come.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure whether to try and get hold of some insulin down here before my prescription comes (or how I would even go about doing that), or to just wait and hope it comes in time before I run out?

I seen advice to ask the pharmacist before. It's not your usually pharmacist I guess though. Still worth a try.
Maybe try an emergency appointment with a local GP.

Okay firstly, I know I'm an idiot for running out of insulin but I really need some advice on what to do.

I'm currently at home in South London for the Easter break but for most of the year I'm at university in the Midlands and that's where my GP is. Before leaving for the holidays I made sure to pick up a new prescription to last me for the weeks that I would be away from university, but unfortunately my bag was stolen at the weekend with my prescription in it, and by that point I was already home away from my GP. I called the GP on Monday and they said that I needed to send them a stamped envelope with my home address on it, so they could send me a new prescription, so I've done that. Now I'm waiting for my prescription to arrive but I'm running really low on both levamir and novorapid - only a few days supply left in each - and I don't know when my prescription is going to come.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure whether to try and get hold of some insulin down here before my prescription comes (or how I would even go about doing that), or to just wait and hope it comes in time before I run out?
You can register at home as temporary patient.

Oh what a PITA - yes, nearest GP surgery - maybe your old one from before Uni? Were you diagnosed before or after Uni, I'm also thinking GP surgeries and NHS still use Fax, so with phone calls from surgery to surgery, copy of rpt scrip could be faxed and an emergency scrip issued.

If not - ring jolly old 111 - or visit nearest A&E although nobody wants to visit A&E unnecessarily - we absolutely ARE a medical emergency, in the absence of insulin.

Helpful pharmacies sometimes give out medication in advance of a prescription. Mine does. But then, I am a well-known "customer". I have heard them do this for others too.

If you are away from "home" it may depend on whether you use a pharmacy that is part of a national chain (e.g. Lloyds) who can perhaps access your records on their system. That might help.

If you know your CHI number, any hospital will be able to access your records and their pharmacy should be able to help.

Good luck!

Could you not see a local doctor or a walk-in centre.

Yup, spot on Grannylorraine. Register with the nearest GP as a temporary resident, and you should be able to get a prescription straight away, or near enough.

There used to be a claim form FP 106 - a claim for immediately necessary treatment - which should certainly apply in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back