Advice needed on food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cairie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I tripped and fell flat on my face , result is not petty, upper lip swollen and split, two teeth ver sore and loose, The problem is food, I can drink water through a straw, managed to eat a yoghurt. Last night tried a bowl of soup but found it difficult to get the spoon in to mouth without pain. The doctor advised eating only smooth food as the split inside my lip is wide and bits could be lodged in it. Beyond soup and yoghurt I'm at a loss. I am type 2 and usually have good control. Any advice suggestions will be very welcome, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. So much pain not thinking straight

If you have a smaller spoon, maybe try that, if not could you drink your soup through a straw?

My sister went through a phase of not liking things like stew or even baked beans unless they were liquidised to a puree (kind of like thick soup) so you could always try pureeing foods if you have a blender. If you don't like the idea of mixing your whole meal together then you could puree vegetables separately, maybe have a bit of mashed potato or swede. Meat is harder to puree, chicken is probably the easiest but you would need to add some liquid obviously (maybe gravy or stock). Or you could buy some commercial meat "spreads".

Scrambled egg is fairly soft if you mash it into tiny pieces.

Another option is to look into commercial baby foods - anything labelled 4+ or 6+ months is likely to be puree. 7+ months and up may have lumps in. They may be slightly higher in carbs than what you usually eat if you generally manage your type 2 by low carb, but you can always check the label to try to find the lowest carb ones.

Bovril/marmite can make drinks that don't really have much in the way of calories but do have some B vitamins and flavour. Sugar free jelly may help also for helping to feel full but again not many calories.

How awful for you @Cairie ! Any mouth injury is very painful. I suggest getting those plastic baby weaning spoons that are very small and very shallow. They might be easier to get in your mouth. You could purée foods in a food processor with added gravy or whatever so you’d still be getting some nutrition. Allow a lot of extra time to eat your meals. If you can’t manage a whole puréed meal, try some baby food or you can get keto protein shakes from many health shops that you could drink with a straw maybe.

Also, get some Difflam Oral Solution. It’s about £8 or so but worth its weight in gold. I had an allergic reaction that ‘burnt’ my mouth and tongue and could hardly eat or speak. The Difflam, which is aimed at sore throats, contains an anaesthetic which reduces the pain. I gently swilled it round my mouth 10 mins before eating at every meal and it helped me hugely.

Custard? Readymade or custard powder + milk if you are not too worried about excessive carbs, or make proper custard from cream and eggs if you are.

You can get 'smoothie' straws which are much fatter than a normal straw so may make thinks like purees or soups easier to suck up.
Your injury sounds horrific. I hope it starts to heal quickly.

How about meal replacement drinks eg the Tesco slim shakes and drinking those through a straw?

Thank you for all the help, I just knew I was missing something obvious...baby food...never thought of that but willing to try. Lots of ideas. i haven't yet tried a hot drink, and only just warmed soup. Don't have a food processor but eventually it should be ok to mash veggies up. I look like something from a horror film!

Thank you for all the help, I just knew I was missing something obvious...baby food...never thought of that but willing to try. Lots of ideas. i haven't yet tried a hot drink, and only just warmed soup. Don't have a food processor but eventually it should be ok to mash veggies up. I look like something from a horror film!
You could get a hand held stick blender for very little money which is so useful for making soups and not much washing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back