Advice needed - high blood glucose reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

judy2302

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi
I'm currently looking after my 74 year old husband who is type2 diabetic (for over 20 years). In the past couple of months he has been really poorly (high potassium levels to begin with), then hospitalised with very low blood glucose and pneumonia, then re-admitted after contracting covid (probably from first hospital stay the previous week). He is home again now and his sugar levels are anything between 17 and 20, he has a very sore throat and is hardly eating or drinking. I keep finding him asleep with a half drank cup of tea etc. He says everything tasteless and it's like swallowing razor blades unless its something like jelly and icecream or rice pudding which I know isn't ideal. The hospital completely revamped his meds and he takes metaformin 1000mg of an evening along with simvastin. His insulin has been reduced to 20mg of a morning and 36 of an evening. I have never had any input on his diabetes care he has been fiercely independent about it all until now. As for getting any advice I can't even get the diabetes team to answer the phone (we are new to the community diabetes team and waiting for first appointment next week).
I'm hoping people here can help me with what I can be doing to make this better, should I be looking for other 'sloppy' foods that he's going to be able to eat that will not make him spike - I have already upped his insulin by 2mg - should I be doing even higher rates - just seems odd given that he isn't eating anything. I'd be grateful for any tips.

Hi
I'm currently looking after my 74 year old husband who is type2 diabetic (for over 20 years). In the past couple of months he has been really poorly (high potassium levels to begin with), then hospitalised with very low blood glucose and pneumonia, then re-admitted after contracting covid (probably from first hospital stay the previous week). He is home again now and his sugar levels are anything between 17 and 20, he has a very sore throat and is hardly eating or drinking. I keep finding him asleep with a half drank cup of tea etc. He says everything tasteless and it's like swallowing razor blades unless its something like jelly and icecream or rice pudding which I know isn't ideal. The hospital completely revamped his meds and he takes metaformin 1000mg of an evening along with simvastin. His insulin has been reduced to 20mg of a morning and 36 of an evening. I have never had any input on his diabetes care he has been fiercely independent about it all until now. As for getting any advice I can't even get the diabetes team to answer the phone (we are new to the community diabetes team and waiting for first appointment next week).
I'm hoping people here can help me with what I can be doing to make this better, should I be looking for other 'sloppy' foods that he's going to be able to eat that will not make him spike - I have already upped his insulin by 2mg - should I be doing even higher rates - just seems odd given that he isn't eating anything. I'd be grateful for any tips.
I can't help with the insulin but could he try gargling with soluble paracetamol to help with his throat, you spit it out rather than swallow it. Metformin can make things taste unpleasant for some people.
Being unwell can push up blood glucose and people do often have to adjust their insulin but only if they have the experience and confidence to do so.
It sounds as if you need some advise from your diabetic nurse. As his levels are high do you have a means of testing for ketones with urine dip sticks as that would be a good idea, they can be bought from the pharmacy.
People may be able to help more easily if you say what insulins and other medication your husband is taking.

Mashed swede, cooked in a pressure cooker so it is easy to squash, with cream or butter. Much lower carb than potato. Another option might be mashed cauliflower.
Minced beef with a little pureed onion, simmered in stock or gravy so it is as soft as possible.
Try sugar free jellies with full fat yoghurt whipped in.

Hi @judy2302 What is the full name of the insulin(s) he takes, including any letters or numbers in the name?

Insulin is measured in units - so who reduced his insulin doses and why? Was it because he wasn’t eating much? What were his doses before?

Is he still unwell after Covid? If so, could you speak to his GP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back