Advice insulin pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma19834

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, after advise I'm duento start 4units of over night humlin insulin I've had it out the fridge as directed by my nurse, my question is, is the liquid supposed to be clear or white and cloudy. Its white and cloudy ? Tia for advise 🙂

Hi all, after advise I'm duento start 4units of over night humlin insulin I've had it out the fridge as directed by my nurse, my question is, is the liquid supposed to be clear or white and cloudy. Its white and cloudy ? Tia for advise 🙂
It depends exactly what insulin it is. can you give us the exact name (eg, Humulin I or Humulin M3 etc)?
Some insulins have a mixture of two different sorts of insulin in them, and are supposed to look white and cloudy, others are just one sort and should be clear.
Do you have an instruction leaflet with it? If it tells you to shake it or roll it around in your hands first, then it’s a mixed insulin and should be cloudy.

It depends exactly what insulin it is. can you give us the exact name (eg, Humulin I or Humulin M3 etc)?
Some insulins have a mixture of two different sorts of insulin in them, and are supposed to look white and cloudy, others are just one sort and should be clear.
Do you have an instruction leaflet with it? If it tells you to shake it or roll it around in your hands first, then it’s a mixed insulin and should be cloudy.
It's humlin mb kwik pen
No its just the pen, I was given it from hospital, thanks for your reply 🙂

It's humlin mb kwik pen
No its just the pen, I was given it from hospital, thanks for your reply 🙂
Do you mean Humulin M3 kwikpen? Not mb? Here is an extract from the patient information leaflet that should have come with it, explaining its cloudy appearance, and what you should do to make sure it’s mixed, before injecting.

• The KwikPen should be rotated in the palms of the hands 10 times and inverted 10 times immediately before use to resuspend insulin until it appears uniformly cloudy or milky. If not, repeat the above procedure until contents are mixed. Cartridges in the pen contain a small glass bead to assist mixing. Do not shake vigorously as this may cause frothing which may interfere with the correct measurement of the dose. The cartridges in the pen should be examined frequently and should not be used if clumps of material are present or if solid white particles stick to the bottom or sides of the cartridge, giving it a frosted appearance. Check each time you inject yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back