advice from type 2's

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolK

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I have just been for one of those medical screenings , where they test for everything known to man, and my results have come back showing my glucose levels as abnormal. They are 6.77. It advises me to go to my GP. Just a bit of advice required, does this sound high to anyone, or not.
Thanks

Carol, it would depend largely on when you ate, but even so below 7 would not be criteria for a diagnosis. You would need to be above 7 fasting, or above 11 on a glucose tolerance test (GTT) before a diagnosis could be made. There are other criteria for random tests, but again, I doubt you would fit into that - a random test would normally be expected to be above 7. I'd want a more detailed explanation of why the 6.77 was viewed as abnormal I think 🙂

thanks northey, just a bit worried when they said they advised me to go to GP. I think I'll just go on yet another of my health kicks! try to cut out all the rubbish .

thanks northey, just a bit worried when they said they advised me to go to GP. I think I'll just go on yet another of my health kicks! try to cut out all the rubbish .

Was the 6.77 a fingerprick test or HbA1c, do you know? Above 6.5 HbA1c might be seen as a possible concern as it would mean elevated levels over a 6-12 week period rather than a one off fingerprick test.

just a fingerprick but it was put into a machine of some sort. Not just a meter.
Then I got results through post after 2 weeks. It was fasting, couldnt have anything to eat from the night before.

just a fingerprick but it was put into a machine of some sort. Not just a meter.
Then I got results through post after 2 weeks. It was fasting, couldnt have anything to eat from the night before.

Hmmm...it might have been an HbA1c then, there are more sophisticated machines than ordinary meters that test for that. Was it expressed in any kind of units, like mmol/l or a percentage?

Carol - I don't mean to worry you unnecessarily, and 6.7 can mean a lot of different things depending on circumstances, but it's the sort of level on both a blood glucose test and an HbA1c test where it's worth talking to your GP about the result.

I think I would base my decision on results from other tests done. The best person to make a diagnosis is your GP as he has acess to your full medical history.

If you are worried, go and have a chat to him, he will either do more tests or give you reassurance, and his job is to look after you.

written as 06.77 mmol/l - maybe I will go to doctors - hate going but worth a trip, considering my son is type 1. Maybe its a push to start looking after myself. You know whats its like, as a parent of a diabetic everyone worries about him.

written as 06.77 mmol/l - maybe I will go to doctors - hate going but worth a trip, considering my son is type 1. Maybe its a push to start looking after myself. You know whats its like, as a parent of a diabetic everyone worries about him.

That's just an ordinary fingerprick test then, not an HbA1c. It is a little on the high side for a fasting level, so probably worth checking with the GP who might want to give you more tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back