Advice for mum of type 2 really needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My son was recently diagnosed with type 2 despite being an active child with bmi of 18.6. No diabetes in family but can only think genetic. Managed to get blood sugars down with restricted diet but he was miserable and lost 3kg and then was underweight! Nutritionalist at diabetic clinic has told me he should eat 240-300g of carbs a day and I need to relax his diet a bit but I can’t do that and keep his blood sugars under control, they’d go through the roof with that many carbs. Does anyone know much about metformin and children? Everything I’ve read relates to reducing obesity in children and im really struggling to find info relevant to his situation. I have contacted the hospital to ask for more advice but just wondered if anyone out there has any knowledge or could signpost me to info?

You don't say how old your son is. Are they sure he is Type 2 rather than Type 1, but as you say that amount of carbs for managing blood glucose if Type 2 would be difficult. Reducing the carbs but making sure he has protein, healthy fats and vegetables should help reduce blood glucose.
But I would be inclined to be sure the diagnosis is correct.
I assume he was diagnosed by an HbA1C blood test, what was the result of that?
Was he having symptoms that led you to seek medical advice.
Sorry for all the questions but it does help people to make appropriate suggestions.

Do you know what your sons HbA1C is? What were his symptoms?
The diagnosis must have come as quite a surprise considering BMI

Type 2 is unusual in young people - though I have always been unable to cope with carbs and I hate to think how things might have turned out if my mother's family did not eat a fairly low carb diet as we seem to be all alike.
I only eat 40 gm of carbs a day, maximum, but I don't feel it is a restricted diet - we can have all sorts of meat, fish, cheese - anything low carb, but that includes berries and lots of vegetables, and there are always herbs and spices to add a bit of zing.

He’s 13. His hba1c was 59 when originally diagnosed, after about 6 weeks it had dropped to lower in the 50s. He was diagnosed after my dr suggested routine bloods as he‘s been on various medications and I think they wanted to check for side effects. How do I make sure it’s the right diagnosis?

There are a few other tests that can be run to check what type but if not you’ll realise when T2 medication stops working. Is he on meds for T2 or just diet?

Type 2 is unusual in young people - though I have always been unable to cope with carbs and I hate to think how things might have turned out if my mother's family did not eat a fairly low carb diet as we seem to be all alike.
I only eat 40 gm of carbs a day, maximum, but I don't feel it is a restricted diet - we can have all sorts of meat, fish, cheese - anything low carb, but that includes berries and lots of vegetables, and there are always herbs and spices to add a bit of zing.
I’ve been told by the nutritionist because he’s 13 and growing he needs the carbs and that restricting them was the wrong thing to do. Its why I’m struggling!!

There are a few other tests that can be run to check what type but if not you’ll realise when T2 medication stops working. Is he on meds for T2 or just diet?
At the moment just diet. I’m trying to find out more about metformin and children but every study I can find relates to childhood obesity

Here’s your previous thread @Ahd in case you missed some replies:

https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/board...-son-type-2-bmi-18-5-and-active-advice.96790/

If you’re sure he’s Type 2 rather than Type 1, then he might need medication, eg insulin, to enable him to eat reasonably and still control his blood sugar.

There are tests that can be done to determine his diabetes type.
Thanks! I think keeping a diary is a really good idea it’s just difficult now hes wanting to be an independent teenager and he’s resisting the finger pricking now. Unfortunately first 2 freestyle libres were wildly innacurate, maybe 3rd time lucky. Dr not keen on medication but think I might need to be more pushy as he needs to be able to eat more normally. Thank you all - always worry at night, if only I could have it not him!

I’ve been told by the nutritionist because he’s 13 and growing he needs the carbs and that restricting them was the wrong thing to do. Its why I’m struggling!!
The only essential foods are protein and fats - oddly enough our bodies are protein and fat - so a diet high in - protein and fat is likely to result in more lean body body than if someone is fed on a high carb diet.
My son is almost a foot taller than me, my daughter about 6 inches taller - I was able to provide a high quality diet for them all the time they were growing up, plus I was already eating low carb myself.
I suspect that if I'd been born after the end of rationing I would have been taller.
I am sure that the nutritionist thinks it is right to feed a growing boy starches and sugars - it is most likely what they were taught - but It is not logical, if you think about it - carbs not burnt off are stored as fat, and what teenager wants to be the pudgy one?

Thanks! I think keeping a diary is a really good idea it’s just difficult now hes wanting to be an independent teenager and he’s resisting the finger pricking now. Unfortunately first 2 freestyle libres were wildly innacurate, maybe 3rd time lucky. Dr not keen on medication but think I might need to be more pushy as he needs to be able to eat more normally. Thank you all - always worry at night, if only I could have it not him!

That’s sad the Libre wasn’t accurate, especially if he’s resisting finger-pricking. His BMI is low as you realise and despite the comment above mine, yes he does need carbs. If he was my child, I’d be making sure he hadn’t been misdiagnosed (ie that he wasn’t actually Type 1) and I’d be looking at insulin to allow him to eat normally if Metformin didn’t work.

*hugs* to you for your nighttime worries. It’s horrible when a child isn’t well. X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back