Advice foot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has the same issue as me?

The skin on my heels and outside edge of both feet are extremely dry and flakey to the point there they crack at times.

I Keep them moisturised.
Thanks in advanced

Last edited by a moderator:

The skin on my heels and outside edge of both feet are extremely dry and flakey to the point there they crack at times.

I Keep them moisturised.
Thanks in advanced
Somebody mentioned Flexitol Heel cream in another post about feet issues.
I found Boots or Scholl cracked heel repair cream pretty effective applied regularly.

I see your Pre-Diabetic, but personally think might be consult your NHS foot-care team,
(or a private podiatrist)

I want aware until last summer the diabetic foot care team even existed
until I cut some of the hard skin skin resulting in infection & ulcer on big toe
it took some time to clear up,

better safe than sorry 😉

I see your Pre-Diabetic, but personally think might be consult your NHS foot-care team,

(or a private podiatrist)

I want aware until last summer the diabetic foot care team even existed

until I cut some of the hard skin skin resulting in infection & ulcer on big toe

it took some time to clear up,

better safe than sorry 

Hi Thank you for the reply, I was diagnosed with type 2 in November. I do not have a foot care team so not sure where to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had dry cracked skin on my feet (and hands) all my life and have tried everything on the market over the years plus others that are not, including udder cream for cows and a mixture of sugar and lard! Flexitol is the best of the stuff that you can buy over the counter but I now use Margaret Dabbs Foot Hygiene Cream which you might consider expensive at about £25 for a 150ml tub, but a tub lasts me a year and it is without doubt the best of anything I have ever used. I do have to rasp down the thick cracked skin regularly with a "sand paper" type foot rasp before washing and applying the cream, but I have been using this product for nearly 10 years now and whilst I do not generally believe in brand names or designer products and I am on a low income, so can't easily afford luxuries, this product has revolutionized my foot health and is well worth the money. I buy it off ebay but I think it is available through telemarketing too. Other friends that I have recommended it to are similarly impressed. I use it on my hands sometimes too.
I love it so much that if I were banished to a desert island and could only take one product, I would take this, even over suncream and facial moisturizer. You do also have to put the work in with keeping on top of the thick skin and keeping feet warm though.... I always wear socks day and night.

I was referred to the hospital podiatrist when I was first diagnosed with diabetes and the nurse saw my feet..... even though they were pretty good for me at the time. I had one appointment with the podiatrist who made me extremely sore (I was lame for 3 days afterwards 😡 ) and she told me that I was quite capable of looking after my own feet, which suited me just fine. I think it may now be a lot harder to get NHS podiatry appointments although there is an element of postcode lottery to it, but I am far more comfortable looking after my own foot health.

I think it may now be a lot harder to get NHS podiatry appointments although there is an element of postcode lottery to it, but I am far more comfortable looking after my own foot health.

Yes I think lots of routine footcare is no longer offered by NHS podiatrists - though you can book private appointments if you wish.

Hope you can find a footcare routine that works for you @CalamityJane70

Gotta look after our tootsies!

There are 10 tips for foot health here

It might be a good idea to smear on ✻messy✻ heel balm with the aid of poly gloves ..I buy mine in boxes of 50 ..from a DIY retailer.

I Keep them moisturised.
Thanks in advanced
Hi , I used a product called foot genius ( pink cream ) .

I had very similar problems you have and it cleared up the problem for me

Since I got a fright after the AZ jab and my lower legs and feet were really swollen, I have massaged my legs in the shower to get the blood flowing. I have no hard skin on my feet even though I do not use a cream or lotion. I do rub a bit of 'body balm' onto my nails the day before I cut them.
I do the massaging every day at least once. Our shower is in the bath and has a hand held option which makes it very convenient.

Have you tried a broad spectrum fungicide and antibacterial cream?
Something like Canesten athletes foot cream?
This can cause flaky skin that won't go away by moisturising.

I love aloe vera gel and rotate that and something called heel genius which I’ve just started using. I’m currently trying to find a good chiropodist to have a look at my feet and maintain a good long term foot ‘plan’.

Have you tried a broad spectrum fungicide and antibacterial cream?
Something like Canesten athletes foot cream?
This can cause flaky skin that won't go away by moisturising.
The Margaret Dabbs product I use contains both natural fungicide (from willow) and antibacterial TeaTree Oil

You wouldn't want to use neat tea tree oil on anything other than a part of your body that has the same capacity for absorption of it as cast iron - it burns skin like acid!! Should only ever be sold diluted. But I literally once got hold of an Australian tea tree cream sold in single use sachets which cleared up thrush on my naughty bits like a dream. It was with some trepidation that I even attempted to apply it although I had actually tried it first The shop (which had changed hands the previous year) said they were just oddments left over from the previous owner so hadn't the vaguest idea where they came from. I never ever found any more anywhere, even asked my sis who lived in Queensland later, to make enquiries - and still no clues.

You wouldn't want to use neat tea tree oil on anything other than a part of your body that has the same capacity for absorption of it as cast iron - it burns skin like acid!! Should only ever be sold diluted. But I literally once got hold of an Australian tea tree cream sold in single use sachets which cleared up thrush on my naughty bits like a dream. It was with some trepidation that I even attempted to apply it although I had actually tried it first The shop (which had changed hands the previous year) said they were just oddments left over from the previous owner so hadn't the vaguest idea where they came from. I never ever found any more anywhere, even asked my sis who lived in Queensland later, to make enquiries - and still no clues.
We had students investigating the antimicrobial properties of various natural products and extracts and tea tree oil was effective at quite high dilution, also grapefruit seed extract, the problem was it also dissolved the petridish.
Manuka honey applied topically in dressings was also good.
I was always having to go any buy some weird and wonderful things from the Asian shops on Foleshill Rd. Cov

Well that's exactly it though - I knew for many years previously that it had a good representation of anti microbial properties but believing thrush to be fungal - would it work or even make it worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back