1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Advice about being ill with virus or CFS

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by fairyhedgehog, Sep 16, 2017.

1. fairyhedgehog

fairyhedgehog Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    At risk of diabetes
    I was eating low GI and getting good BG results - average was probably 4.5 fasting, 6.5 up to 7.5 an hour after food, and back down to 4.5 to 6.5 two hours later.

Then I got a virus. I'm now in week three of feeling a bit rough and completely exhausted and not doing most of my usual activities.

Today, an hour after lunch my BG was 9.2, dropping to 8.0 an hour later.

I've not been testing every single time because I thought I'd sussed out what I can and can't eat, and the couple of blips in the last two weeks I put down to eating something I hadn't been eating, like stew or kidney beans. Today I had two pieces of very seedy toast, but I'm sure I've had that before without problems, and I had hummus and tomatoes and olives and low-fat cream cheese. Oh, and a square of 90% dark chocolate.

I had CFS a few years back and I'm wondering if this is a virus that won't go or post-viral fatigue or what. But anyway, I'm not sure how to eat to keep my BG down when I'm so inactive.

Also, I'm due a blood test for liver and Hba1c on Wednesday and I'm wondering if being ill will mess up the results.

All thoughts are welcome!

2. trophywench

trophywench Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Well - ANY concurrent illness whether it's a virus and infection or caused by an accident increases the BG, which of course makes healing whatever it is much more difficult for your body.

You need to get to the docs and get it diagnosed and treated whatever it is - just leaving it isn't really an option - mot without proper medical advice. The last 4 weeks are responsible for 55% of your HbA1c result - so yes it will affect that quite a bit - so cancel the apt and swap it for a GP one, tell him what you've done and why - and take it from there.

fairyhedgehog likes this.
  3. fairyhedgehog

At risk of diabetes
    Thank you.

My BG is a bit all over the place at the moment and it's a relief to think there's a reason for it.

I'll ring the GP tomorrow and get an appointment and cancel the blood test for now.

If I was working I'd already have seen the GP to get a certificate! I've just been moping around at home because there's not a lot they can do for a virus. It's probably worth seeing her anyway though.

4. CosmicHedgehog

CosmicHedgehog Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I have had CFS for 15 years, my understanding is that it never really goes away we have ups and downs or (flares) Having a virus can most certainly make the CFS flare up and cause terrible fatigue. Either way virus or CFS rest is probably what you need. The only way to keep the blood sugars down when you are not being active is just cutting right back on the carbs. Also though the virus may well be pushing your blood sugars up anyway. If it were me i would see the GP anyway just to be safe. Its a long time to be ill and could be something else like an infection etc. Being ill and having higher bg's than normal will definitely affect the results of the Hba1c.

fairyhedgehog likes this.
  5. fairyhedgehog

At risk of diabetes
    Thank you.

I've cancelled my blood test appointment and I'm going to make an "on the day" appointment to see my GP tomorrow. I missed the window for it today.

I think you're right about the CFS. I have really good patches but whenever I get a virus it flares up again.

Ditto and CosmicHedgehog like this.