Advantages to Being Diabetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
It occurred to me that following on from Phoebe's Postivie Thinking thread, that there are some advantages to being diabetic.

eg. When I was younger, it was the perfect excuse NOT :D :D :D to eat some of the odd things my Aunt used to dish up when we went to visit:

"Sorry", my mum used to tell her, "she's not allowed that." (Mind you that was in the days when we had to take the same amount of insulin at the same times every day and try to eat about the same amount of carbohydrate at the same meals every day! )

Anyone think of any others?

Free eye tests
Free prescriptions
being able to say no to things we don't like the look of
extra sick days if we are unlucky enough to need them
VAT exemption on some things
saying well you don't want me to hypo do you as we munch our way through that illicit bag of jelly babies or swig that full monty coke
going to the front of the queue for fasting blood tests
best of all is having this forum.

For me, it is definitely the "I can't eat that" bit. If you say you are on a diet and trying to be good, people will badger you and say it won't hurt, but by saying "I'm diabetic, I wish i could eat it but daren't", they leave you alone.

Can't think of anything else though. I had free prescriptions before.

haha - well 'I need to eat now' is quite a good one.
Not offending anyone if I turn up with my own food to a tea party or something.
Buying lots of nice shoes because I have to be careful with my feet.
Having a pedicure once a month because it is good for me.

Helthier diet
free prescriptions
having this forum as my lifeline

Now that I'm used to it I see the low-carb diet as a good thing. If I eat a lot of carbs at a meal now my tummy complains
Free Prescriptions, free eye tests and money off the specs
I'm more active now
I've made loads of new friends, mostly in here, couldn't do this without the residents of this forum
Coming home, best thing I ever did in my life, aside from moving to London that is

🙂 yey for us 🙂

heehee brilliant thread
1 sorry cant eat that {when food doenst look nice}
2 free meds and glasses
3 extra breaks at work
4 this forum which is brill

The "I can't eat that" trick is fantastic, especially as I am fussy about many types of food.
"My BG are low, I don't feel like doing that"
And last, but not least, I am slim again 🙂

I love it when my o/h wants me to do something and i just say 'sorry im having a hypo' 🙂 or 'I feel a hypo coming on just give me a min'

Great way of getting out of chores, even more so with a baby in my belly. More hypos = more rest for me. Great excuse to sit on my bum eating :D

I love it when my o/h wants me to do something and i just say 'sorry im having a hypo' 🙂 or 'I feel a hypo coming on just give me a min'

Great way of getting out of chores, even more so with a baby in my belly. More hypos = more rest for me. Great excuse to sit on my bum eating :D

ROFL you clever gal Phoebe, dont ever let him see this thread though hehe.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back