Administration Support

Joe P 2002

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My son has Down syndrome and an omnipod 5 pump and dexcom sensor for obvious reasons he needs some support with administering his bolouses . A charity he attends one day a week has recently excluded him as they are unable to assist with carb addition and supervise him to self administer without being signed off by a NHS or Dexcom professional and the trustees are not happy for him to attend As they feel it affects their insurance.has anybody else hit this problem ..it is a group he has attended for some time

At the primary school I work at, teachers help the diabetic children, they do a training which I think is organised by the hospital nurses. Could something like this be arranged for the charity? Might be worth talking to your son’s DSN and the charity people to see if they would agree to some training, that might perhaps make them feel more confident. At the end of the day they are probably scared of doing something which might hurt him, and the trustees are just covering their backsides. I think I have a tendency to forget how scary diabetes can be if you are not familiar with it, and having to take responsibility for someone else’s child (even a grown up one) is not the same as looking after your own.
The other option is, could you go with him to deal with the diabetes? I agree you shouldn’t have to, but it might fill the gap until you get some training sorted.

It may be worth talking to Diabetes UK on 0345 123 2399, they may be able to provide some guidance. It seems unfair that your son is being excluded after attending so far.
Hope you manage to get some help

Goodness @Joe P 2002 how heartbreaking for you :(

I’m sure it must be possible to find ways around the concerns of his group.

There are many schools and colleges up and down the countries (along with community groups and charities like scouts, guides, youth groups, churches, etc which have T1 children involved, and find ways to facilitate them being involved and taking part in activities.

Back