Adjustments for other conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I know a lot of people here have other conditions as well as diabetes, and several seemed to have autism too. So I am interested to know whether anyone has any adjustments in their diabetes’ appointments to account for other conditions.

Did you ask for anything you specifically need if you do, or did the person the appointment is with just recognise what was needed. Does it carry through if you see someone different or not?

I’ve been having problems with my diabetes team over the last year or so, mainly related to miscommunication - i have autism, they don’t always consider that, and I have difficulties explaining the difficulties. Someone else has now spoken to them on my behalf to help improve things. It did sound a positive conversation and I’m hopeful things will now improve, the hospital are looking into some of the options.

I’m interested to know of other experiences though, positive or negative, but ideally anything that has been helpful in getting the adjustments consistently.

My DSN tends to make life as difficult as she can, just for the hell of it.

My DSN tends to make life as difficult as she can, just for the hell of it.
That’s not helpful! They did seem like they actually wanted to help, just that they needed to look into what options are available to make sure it’s consistent when I see new people.

I bring someone with me because of my mental health history and complex other medical conditions, it’s led to confusion and confrontations in the past as I have multiple GI conditions too so I have conflicting dietary needs which mess with my sugar levels.
Have you looked into advocacy in case things don’t change? Hoping that the person who spoke up has helped you!

My daughter has autism, but wasn’t diagnosed until November 2021, in fact it wasn’t even suspected until the first lockdown. So she’s gone through all of primary school and half of secondary not even realising she was “different”, and nobody having a clue that she was struggling so much. This has led to further complications of Tourette syndrome, OCD, non-epileptic seizures and FND, all of which is rather complicated and makes the diabetes look easy! I’ve had quite a steep learning curve, I didn’t find it hard to adjust to the autism at all but it amazes me how many people don’t seem to have a clue about it and don’t want to either. Mainly teachers, you try to explain that she will take things very literally, so anything too vague or open-ended she‘ll struggle to understand what you mean. She sees things very black and white, and whilst she understands what sarcasm is, she will never recognise when you are using it even if you think it’s glaringly obvious. And if you want her to do anything you need to give very clear step-by-step instructions. Yet we still get teachers saying “go and do some research” and she’s sitting there very confused - how? What methods can I use? How many different resources? How much am I supposed to write? Etc etc.

In terms of diabetes professionals, they’ve always been OK, I always go in with her though and do most of the talking, which is what she likes. She’s 17 now and for at least the past year I and they have been trying to encourage her to go in alone at least for part of the meeting, but she flat out refuses and always wants me there, because she says she doesn’t know what to say to them. Although she is getting better at answering for herself. In September she starts transitioning to the adult team so that will be different. OCD was the worst, it all stemmed from a couple of verrucas she had on her foot, she would wear 3 layers of socks and almost never take them off so as not to expose the world to the evil germs, and so any sort of foot checks were always refused (for a while she would honestly rather her feet fell off than allow anyone to examine them). Her wishes were always respected even though it wasn’t the best idea (although at her age I’d hope it was pretty unlikely that she’d be starting to have problems already). So imagine how proud I was of her when we saw the consultant a month ago, he donned some gloves and announced that he wanted to check her feet, and she just said “OK then” and whipped her socks off! I’m so glad that one is cured. The rest either won’t change or is still a work in progress.

I’m rambling a bit… I don’t really know how to answer your question other than could you take someone else with you to help with explanations? I find it easy to understand how my daughter thinks now. I do realise though that autism is a very broad spectrum and I’m very tuned in to my daughter’s particular needs. We’re under a paediatrician at the same hospital, so she and the diabetes team can see each other’s appointments and test results and so on, and apparently one of the diabetes doctors phoned the paediatrician in a panic when we turned up for the first time with daughter in a wheelchair due to FND. No it isn’t anything to do with the diabetes but I think it scared them! So that works quite well but unfortunately we live right on the corner of 3 counties, the hospital is in one of the neighbouring ones, we are under CAMHS and physiotherapy in the one we live in so there’s a bit of a disconnect there.

My daughter does most of the CAMHS appointments on her own now, they know all about all the mental health issues though. Anyone else she likes me with her to help her do the talking. Which is fine at the moment but as she has to start changing over to adult services I don’t know how it will work, and I do hope she’ll manage!

I don’t really know how to answer your question other than could you take someone else with you to help with explanations?
It sounds like your daughter is making good progress, hopefully in time she’ll feel more confident to go to some of the appointment herself.

Having someone go with me was a suggestion they made but I don’t really have anyone suitable. My local friends are all autistic or work full time, and my non autistic friends aren’t local.

Besides, I’m independent in everything else in life and not keen to make diabetes the one area i need to find paid support for, and it’s simple changes in the way they speak that are needed e.g. making sure on whether things they mention are an absolute instruction or an option (“there’s no need for insulin” being the latest example of miscommunication). Also making sure the plan is clear (including what to do if things get worse) and if possible seeing the same person more consistently.

I bring someone with me because of my mental health history and complex other medical conditions, it’s led to confusion and confrontations in the past as I have multiple GI conditions too so I have conflicting dietary needs which mess with my sugar levels.
Have you looked into advocacy in case things don’t change? Hoping that the person who spoke up has helped you!
Glad having someone with you helps you, but it doesn’t sound very joined up if they also aren’t taking other conditions into account!!

Not too sure what advocacy is to be honest but feeling hopeful of things improving from getting someone else to help explain the issues.

From my experience with going to medical appointments with ME and MCS, I would say always explain your needs in advance of the appointment, always remind them when you get there in case the explanation hasn't been passed on to the person you see by the person you initially explained to, and ideally have a brief written summary you can give them.

Never assume that anything you have told them in the past will be carried over from one appointment to another, especially if you are seeing a different person. If you want to always see the same person, ask - I've done that with diabetes consultants and other medical professionals, and it does make it a bit easier to have the consistency and not to have to repeat the explanations quite so often.

If you have difficulties explaining the difficulties, having a written summary of your issues/needs is really useful. I've gone into an appointment when I had severe cognitive dysfunction and knew I wouldn't be able to process at normal conversational speed and said "please read this" and then sat there silently until they did (it does need to be just a few lines though, half a side of A4 at very most, as busy medical professionals are not going to be willing to spend the time reading more than that).

I also have a bunch of communication cards to help in case I can't speak coherently or at all - mine are mostly to do with brain fog but they do ones about autism too - eg this one - https://stickmancommunications.co.uk/product/give-clear-info-card/

It sounds like your daughter is making good progress, hopefully in time she’ll feel more confident to go to some of the appointment herself.

Having someone go with me was a suggestion they made but I don’t really have anyone suitable. My local friends are all autistic or work full time, and my non autistic friends aren’t local.

Besides, I’m independent in everything else in life and not keen to make diabetes the one area i need to find paid support for, and it’s simple changes in the way they speak that are needed e.g. making sure on whether things they mention are an absolute instruction or an option (“there’s no need for insulin” being the latest example of miscommunication). Also making sure the plan is clear (including what to do if things get worse) and if possible seeing the same person more consistently.

Could you write some guidance for them and have it put in your Notes so whoever you’re dealing with can see it. It would be individual to you, but it would list things for them to know or do. I’ve done them for young people before.

Sort of been lucky in recent times in respect that appointments with diabetes consultant & dsn are never rushed, in fact they always overrun so end up waiting longer to be seen if don't get seen first thing in morning.

Wasn't always case, in early it was case of in & out before backside could warm chair up, once got told to leave gp appointment as allocated 5mins was up, she actually had a timer on desk.

Glad having someone with you helps you, but it doesn’t sound very joined up if they also aren’t taking other conditions into account!!

Not too sure what advocacy is to be honest but feeling hopeful of things improving from getting someone else to help explain the issues.
I just think they do t understand or are over steched so no time to think.
Keep advocacy in back of your mind. I wrote lists for when I have to go alone, bullet point them to try to get point across accurately, is that something that might help you?

I wrote lists for when I have to go alone, bullet point them to try to get point across accurately, is that something that might help you?
Appointments are all over the phone so handing over list of points isn’t practical. I do think that having the libre app now and logging my carbs and insulin in it for a few days before each appointment will help me with communicating what’s going on with bgs at least

Appointments are all over the phone so handing over list of points isn’t practical. I do think that having the libre app now and logging my carbs and insulin in it for a few days before each appointment will help me with communicating what’s going on with bgs at least
Why aren’t you being seen in person? I am when having major issues especially when my meds are being changed

Why aren’t you being seen in person? I am when having major issues especially when my meds are being changed
Appointments stopped being in person with Covid

Appointments stopped being in person with Covid
Not with my surgery or the one I left a year ago, you should be able to request in person if your struggling to work with the dn over the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back