adjust ratios

Status
Not open for further replies.

smile4loubie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Might have to adjust ratio. 3 nights in the past 4 ive gone low with hypo symptoms, I know 4.3 isnt low but it is for me. I think i might start doing it at 2 units per 10g instead.

I hate this feeling =(

The thing with carb counting is it will take a while to tweak everything until it's all right, but it is worth it. When you're adjusting things the important rule is to try to only change one thing at a time, and if possible give it a few days to make sure you know what effect the change has had, for example if I was changing my evening ratio I'd keep the others the same. The exception would be if I was having a lot of hypos.
Are you happy that your basal insulin is right? Most people find that getting that right first is the best foundation for working out ratios, as if that's wrong it will throw everything else out.
Good luck with it all, you will get there.

I wonder if it might help you to try not to worry about ratios for a week or so and just count carbs and use the amount if insulin you would normally take and then try and work with the 500 rule. Because going from 5:10 to 2:10 seems a big jump.

You will get there, and it will start to make more sense

I think my levemir is right, its what ive been on for years with the same amount. I'm just so confused by it all and still waiiting for appointment from new clinic.

What I tried the other day to see if my levemir was right was having a carb-free lunch (chicken and salad) so taking no Novorapid at lunch time. I was 9.6 before lunch (ok, so a bit high) then 4 hours later 9.3, (again, still a bit high...) but it had stayed constant in between, which I took as reassurance that my basal will keep me steady throughout the day. Then I just need to work on my breakfast novorapid to get me to below 9 at lunch time!

You could try this for a day Lou, to check you don't go higher or lower without any carbs.

A Basal test wouldn't be a bad thing Lou, I did one once, only when I woke at a good level mind, then I tested every hour and didn't eat much, eggs fish salad, I made it to 2pm before I needed a bit more food!

Don't change too much too quickly, 4.3 isn't really low, but from what you've been saying you've generally been running on the high side of things, so 4.3 is bound to feel LOW.

It certainly seems like you're learning lots with giving the carb counting a go.

Whatever you do, take care and have fun😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back