Addled brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

suziepoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Had sugar levels of 8.2 this am and 15.4 before lunch. They were quite high over the weekend too.

My query is, after having called colleagues by the wrong names this am, wanting to cry for no reason and can't seem to think straight, is this normal? If so, what should I do?

I'm on 1 injection a day of insulin and starting to struggle with them again (but still doing it!). Have arranged to see my DSN on Friday am and will phone psychologist again tomorrow to re-arrange appointment.

Just feel like going home and going back to bed!:confused:

Are you newly diagnosed.......?............even if so 1 injection a day seems alien to me...............what type of insulin are you on?

I was diagnosed in Jan and told I needed to go insulin in March. Didn't actually succeed in injecting until early August. Its a mixed long-lasting insulin (sorry, can't remember the name!) and my DSN is now pushing me to do two injections a day. Still freaking on one a day though!

Hi Suzie, it is pretty unusual these days to be on mixed insulin (although definitely not unheard of) - especially in just one injection a day. Going onto 2 a day would probably allow more flexibility with eating - although ultimately, multiple daily injections (in which you have the 2 insulins in separate injections) or a pump would give you the maximum freedom. Is it due to a needle phobia you are not so keen to inject more?

Back to your question - high blood glucose levels do horrible things to me. I feel lethargic and weak, confused and grumpy. So your symptoms sound a bit like my high symptoms!

It sounds like you are taking the right steps in terms of getting into see your DSN and the psychologist 🙂

I'm sure it won't be helpful to point out that it's perfectly possible to call people by the wrong names even with completely normal blood sugar levels - my Grandma (no diabetes), who maintained her brain function until her death aged 94, was known for going through all family names, regardless of sex, until she came to the right one! I do notice that I get a bit more emotional and less articulate than usual when my blood sugar levels are low or high.

What may be happening to you is that your body is getting used to slightly lower blood sugar levels - although 15.4mmol/l is still highish, it may be considerably lower than before you started insulin?

Good luck with meetings with DSN and psychologist, as I hope they can help you more, knowing more about your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back