Addenbrooke's staff face physical violence from patients and colleagues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
ATTACKS on hospital staff by their own colleagues are on the rise, figures show.

At least 60 staff members at Addenbrooke's experienced physical violence from their fellow health workers last year – a 100 per cent rise from 2013.

In addition, the figures from 2014's NHS survey also show that roughly a quarter of the 2,000 respondents have experienced attacks, bullying and abuse from their patients, while another 25 per cent have been bullied by their colleagues.

Jo Rust, from UNISON'S eastern branch, said the figures showed signs of a deeper problem.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Add...cal-violence/story-26169345-detail/story.html

Well some of it could actually be accidental - I mean if you literally have a knee-jerk reaction to medics doing something to you - it's just a bit tough if someone's nose happens to be in the way isn't it?

Or - eg one of my previous neighbours, a really lovely intelligent well mannered chap - used to become totally violent when he was hypo.

And there again if you happen to be blind drunk, get into a fight and someone bottles your face - what the hell do Emergency Services do? refuse to treat you till you sober up and throw you in a police cell until you either bleed to death or sober up?

But relatives???

OTOH I once had a doctor who was removing a cyst from the outside corner of my eyelid and saying it would hurt more to do a local than removing it would, on which point he was 100% correct - but unfortunately he didn't issue the instruction to me to concentrate on trying to see the bridge of my nose and so when the scalpel suddenly appeared with no warning within a centimetre of my eye - I ducked away violently, just by instinct. He tore me off more than a strip and spoke as if I was a 3 year old. Boy was he angry. Didn't I realise how easily he could have blinded me etc etc - yes that's why I moved so bloody quick you idiot, but TBH I didn't even think about it consciously before I ducked sideways. I was so terrified by his reaction I did let him do it but a) I complained about him and b) I refused to go and see him again, even though he was at the time the 'diabetes' one.

I stopped attending ALL diabetes appointments both there and the hospital for several years until the system eventually caught up with me.

If I was a violent person and bigger physically than I am - who knows?

Years later I had another bigger one removed at hospital - yes, that's how I know the local in your eyelid is exceptionally painful! - but I was lying down with a hefty (but kind!) nurse holding my head still, and constant quiet assurances and instructions to keep looking at the top of the window frame. It took ages too - 'Bigger than I thought!' said the consultant ! But perfectly fine and calm, with nice restful classical music playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back