Acute incident whilst looping

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Having had a TIA on Friday, I am now reflecting on how my 780 G used in loop with their Guardian 4 sensor responded. I am a fan of looping and in the general run of things it takes away so much of the work around managing my diabetes, and means that I think about it all a lot less.

Following a TIA my glucose levels were high and I had hoped that the pump would bring these down. For the following day I struggled to get a BG below 10 and when my TIR dipped below 60% I decided to come out of the looping and take over. I switched back to using TBRs and also got round to setting up basal profiles for ‘ill’ (120%) and ‘very ill’ (150%). Upon reflection I think I would have been more sensible to switch to manual earlier, since I think the looping struggles with the extreme situations, but then illness always required more intervention on my part.

I am now booked in for a raft of tests including MRI, heart monitoring, … so will be without a sensor for a bit, and then will start again. I do have a Libre which I am thinking of putting in and seeing if it survives and MRI. I will check that out in another thread.

No it won't! Anything with any metal is verboten in an MRI scanner.

Having had a TIA on Friday, I am now reflecting on how my 780 G used in loop with their Guardian 4 sensor responded. I am a fan of looping and in the general run of things it takes away so much of the work around managing my diabetes, and means that I think about it all a lot less.
Sorry what is a TIA?

Sorry what is a TIA?
Transient Ischaemic Attack - sometimes known as a "mini stroke" - usually caused by a clot, but then it moves rather than remaining stuck, and most people don't have lasting effects directly from the TIA.

They are an indicator that your risk of stroke has increased, hence needing to be investigated

Transient Ischaemic Attack - sometimes known as a "mini stroke" - usually caused by a clot, but then it moves rather than remaining stuck, and most people don't have lasting effects directly from the TIA.

They are an indicator that your risk of stroke has increased, hence needing to be investigated
Thank you

@SB2015 sorry to hear that. Hope your doing okay?

You won’t be able to wear your Libre, it’s not just a question of whether the electronics will survive, but whether the scanner (which is basically a massive magnet) will rip it out of your arm. Which is a distinct possibility.

Thanks for the responses. As suggested I was not going to be allowed to wear any type of sensor. They even made me take out my cannula, as there was metal parts in it. No problem as I expected that and took a spare.

Unfortunately my replacement cannula was one with no stickability, so simply fell off straight away, and I did not have another spare. However the DSN office was just round the corner from the X-ray dept, and they fortunately had a spare. I put extra tape over it to be sure it would stay put to enable me to get through the remaining checks.

Happy to say no lasting damage from the TIA. Review of meds and some adjustments but otherwise just carry on as I was, since I tick all the requirements for what to do to reduce the risk of a full stroke. They are still monitoring the heart.

Happy to say no lasting damage from the TIA. Review of meds and some adjustments but otherwise just carry on as I was, since I tick all the requirements for what to do to reduce the risk of a full stroke. They are still monitoring the heart.

Good to hear you are being carefully looked after, and monitored @SB2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back