Action of empagiflozin

Status
Not open for further replies.

now confused

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
My partner (T2) was moved onto empagiflozin about 3 weeks ago. Since then his sugar levels (home tested) have been high. This version of empagiflozin is produced by Jardiance. In the Jardiance website it says the drug can take up to 24 weeks to take effect. Can this be true? Does anyone have experience of this?

My partner (T2) was moved onto empagiflozin about 3 weeks ago. Since then his sugar levels (home tested) have been high. This version of empagiflozin is produced by Jardiance. In the Jardiance website it says the drug can take up to 24 weeks to take effect. Can this be true? Does anyone have experience of this?
The NHS website says it should start to work straight away but the full effects may not be for a week or so definitely not 24 weeks.
Is he drinking plenty as that is important at least 3 litres per day (8 x 8oz glasses of water) as that helps to flush the excess glucose out of the system but otherwise he may be dehydrated which can mean elevated blood glucose.
Also watch out for thrush or other UTI as that again can cause elevated blood glucose.
Jardiance is just a brand name for empagflozin.

In the Jardiance website it says the drug can take up to 24 weeks to take effect. Can this be true?
I doubt it. I can see they use 24 weeks for some of the trials but I think that's just so they can show effects of reasonably long term use rather than just what happens initially.

I found a couple of days was all it took to see a difference when I was on it 🙂

Just going to emphasise what @Leadinglights mentioned about drinking plenty and expect to pee more than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back