Status
Not open for further replies.

rosy_nic

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi guys 🙂

I meant to post this question ages ago but was too nervous to ask. When I had my yearly checks I had high ACR levels and have had a re-test, I'm nervous that it has not gone down since I had tested the first time. I'm seeing my DSN nurse this week to discuss them. I'm worried that I will have to be on drugs forever.

I'm also of on holiday to south-east Asia, in 3 weeks time, so any tips about diabetes and hot weather would be welcomed. I'm also worried that I will be unfit to travel, as two people on my trip have already dropped out due to health issues.

I don’t know about ACR I’m afraid. Hope your DSN can put your mind at rest. a good opportunity to ask their advice about your trip too!

Really hope your adventure goes ahead - sounds amazing! You might benefit from a Frio pouch to keep stored insulin cool. Sadly missed and adventurous member @Copepod always preferred a stainless steel vacuum flask, which is another option.

Don’t forget to pack much more than you think you mig hot need for your trip. You are likely to be eating unusual foods and while the heat may make you more sensitive to insulin there’s a chance some may spoil by exposure to high heat (eg in a pump cartridge) so you would be wise to take plenty of spares. You will mostly be checking BGs more often too.

Some airlines allow you to take an extra piece of hand luggage for your medical supplies which might be worth looking into?

I don’t know about ACR I’m afraid. Hope your DSN can put your mind at rest. a good opportunity to ask their advice about your trip too!

Really hope your adventure goes ahead - sounds amazing! You might benefit from a Frio pouch to keep stored insulin cool. Sadly missed and adventurous member @Copepod always preferred a stainless steel vacuum flask, which is another option.

Don’t forget to pack much more than you think you might hot need for your trip. You are likely to be eating unusual foods and while the heat may make you more sensitive to insulin there’s a chance some may spoil by exposure to high heat (eg in a pump cartridge) so you would be wise to take plenty of spares. You will mostly be checking BGs more often too.

Some airlines allow you to take an extra piece of hand luggage for your medical supplies which might be worth looking into?

Thanks, ACR is protein in Urine which is a sign of kidney disease

I hopefully will be getting another frio if needed, I have a small one, I might need a large one.

Yes, it might get sensitive to the hot weather, so hopefully, the DSN might come up with some ideas.

I'm flying with BA in world traveller (economy class) so might not be able to take another piece of hand luggage

Thanks, ACR is protein in Urine which is a sign of kidney disease

I hopefully will be getting another frio if needed, I have a small one, I might need a large one.

Yes, it might get sensitive to the hot weather, so hopefully, the DSN might come up with some ideas.

I'm flying with BA in world traveller (economy class) so might not be able to take another piece of hand luggage
BA are one of the more generous airlines, you’re allowed to take two pieces as standard, one cabin case sized, and another handbag/laptop bag sized. The dimensions are on their website. I’ve always managed to fit in everything I need.
Some airlines do allow an extra medical bag, but the rules can be quite strict, Ryanair and Easyjet, for example, insist on a doctors letter which lists every item you need.
(Some people genuinely do need extra room, I once saw a man checking in with an enormous extra bag marked 'medical' I later met him on our cruise, and it turns out the bag contained a spare prosthetic leg!)

Hope the ACR clears up, and ends up being just one of those markers that gets a red flag, then resolves with slightly improved BG management.

I don’t think the class of your ticket matters. There’s a link on this page to BA’s team to enquire.

https://www.t1resources.uk/resource...ional-luggage-allowance-for-medical-supplies/

BA are one of the more generous airlines, you’re allowed to take two pieces as standard, one cabin case sized, and another handbag/laptop bag sized. The dimensions are on their website. I’ve always managed to fit in everything I need.
Some airlines do allow an extra medical bag, but the rules can be quite strict, Ryanair and Easyjet, for example, insist on a doctors letter which lists every item you need.
(Some people genuinely do need extra room, I once saw a man checking in with an enormous extra bag marked 'medical' I later met him on our cruise, and it turns out the bag contained a spare prosthetic leg!)
Thanks, I will have a look into this 🙂 My DSN said the same as you 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back