ACE inhibitor drugs linked to kidney damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Drugs prescribed commonly to diabetics could cause serious kidney problems and result in hundreds of deaths each year, a study suggests.

Researchers found that ACE inhibitors and similar drugs, which are used to treat conditions such as high blood pressure and heart disease, especially in patients with diabetes, were linked to severe kidney damage.

The growing popularity of the drugs, which are now the second most prescribed medicines in the UK, has coincided with a significant increase in patients being admitted to hospital with acute kidney injury.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...-inhibitor-drugs-linked-to-kidney-damage.html

Worrying :(

Urgghh - good job we all have our kidney function tested then, innit?

Perhaps some of us will be asking our GP whether there are moves afoot to test that more frequently ........

Urgghh - good job we all have our kidney function tested then, innit?

Perhaps some of us will be asking our GP whether there are moves afoot to test that more frequently ........

It is worrying, given that these things are supposed to help protect your kidneys! 🙄

After reading the NHS take on the article and the article itself, I think the Telegraph has used a headline that is unnecessary and will undoubtedly strike fear in users of these drugs.

Your kidneys are at risk from a number of drugs including NSAIDs and using Paracetamol too often can result in liver failure and yet we rarely see any headlines about this. People take these every day.

Thanks for posting the NHS reply - this is a bit more balanced than the Daily Fail! I was (and still am) worried because my son is taking ACE inhibitors to protect his kidneys and try and stop the protein which is leaking through. He doesn't have high blood pressure or heart problems. The last thing we need is medication that worsens the existing problem :(

Yes, ACE inhibitors do have to be monitored carefully. My father in law took them for heart failure and they were amazing, gave him many more years of good quality life, but I remember him talking about regular tests to make sure other bits of him were not affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back