accurate glucose tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

EB1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi everyone does anyone know what is the best and most accurate over the counter glucose tester you can buy ? I'm currently trying out the free trial from FreeStyle Libre 2 but i'm not sure how accurate it is .

All meters have to meet the same standard, which is something like 15% of a lab result using highly accurate equipment when > 5.6 and within .83 if < 5.6 (Not sure where the equals goes!)

Some of more accurate than others.

Contour Next One (Ascencia) is apparently one of the most accurate (8% variance with lab results, I think), and is a very nice piece of hardware. Strips are very expensive, so I don't use mine very often (I got it free.)

I use a Contour Blue from the same company, which has very cheap strips and is also a nice piece of hardware. Not sure of its accuracy (I think they claim 10%?). Multiple tests on different fingers give very consistent results - it's Bluetooth, and the Contour app integrates into Apple Health and data is shared with other apps like mySugr. That's the main reason I use it, not for any accuracy.

Both meters also have a ''second go" feature. If there's not enough blood on the first attempt, you can get another go. This works very well.

To be honest, I'm not sure it's worth worrying about for the sake of a few decimal points. I use the meter for the functionality it(And the app) offers. (There's also a website where you can get graphs and statistics of your readings.)

Last edited:
The thing to check out is the cost of the strips as that is the consumable bit. Look on line for better prices than the pharmacy unless they have special offers. Strips are specific to the monitor.

I have the Contour+ Blue and have found it to be very consistent. I think they sell the moniters and strips on the DUK website but I don't know how prices compare because mine came from my GP.

Here are two papers which compared various meters:

The Contour Next rates highest in both experiments. The Next One is equivalent I assume?

The cost of test strips is a big factor though. I have two meters, one of which is a Contour Next, which consistently reports lower readings than the other meter with an average difference when measuring my fasting blood glucose of around 0.5 mmol/L. When testing before and after meals they both report a similar rise in levels though so they are both consistent in that regard. As the second meter has cheaper strips that's the one I use regularly as I only really need to know the difference between readings before and after meals. I use the Next first thing in the morning because the lower readings and the studies heralding it's supposedly high accuracy rating have significant psychological benefits 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back