accurate and affordable glucose meter/strips

Status
Not open for further replies.

msbhatti

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi - what's most accurate and affordable glucose meter/strips I can use for blood tests. please guide. thanks

I use a free Contour Next Plus - test strips around 11 pounds a box, Bluetooth connectivity and they are apparently a lot more accurate than the standards.

I would guess the more expensive ones are the most accurate, I use Sure which unfortunately are the most expensive, was kind of stuck with this as nurse gave me a Sure meter on diagnosis So just carried on buying the strips, although I can get them cheaper on line and on eBay sometimes. They are dead reliable and the company has full telephone support sending you free stuff if you break anything plus it links with their excellent app. Don’t use them so much now in order to cut costs and I am clued up with what I can and can’t eat. This said it’s the patterns and spikes which any meter will give you that is important rather than the absolute numerical value as most will give you different readings within a range depending on which finger you prick even if done immediately one after another!

As all monitors have to meet certain standards and your choice may depend on how sophisticated you want. But since the objective is to make sure you are keeping to a good blood glucose level and to be prevented from doing that by having a monitor with expensive strips seems counter productive and you would recoup the cost of buying a monitor with cheaper strips in short order.

As all monitors have to meet certain standards and your choice may depend on how sophisticated you want. But since the objective is to make sure you are keeping to a good blood glucose level and to be prevented from doing that by having a monitor with expensive strips seems counter productive and you would recoup the cost of buying a monitor with cheaper strips in short order.
True, but it’s kind of like when you buy your first car, or bike, generally most stick with the same manufacturer for years! I can afford them and use them as I need but found it was taking over my life, so cut back a bit to reduce the paranoia!
I think I will buy another machine and run it alongside to see how it goes, prob a good idea to have a backup anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back