Accu-Chek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I've just purchased an Accu-Chek monitor. There was an 'Important New Information' note with the test strips which reads: These test strips deliver results that correspond to blood glucose concentrations in plasma as per the recommendations of the IFCC. Blood glucose concentrations may be tested in whole blood or plasma. Your meter therefore displays blood concentrations that refer to plasma although you always apply whole blood to the test strip.

Another leaflet states: If you have previously used test strips that delivered blood glucose concentrations based on whole blood please note your meter now displays results that are approx. 11% higher.

My first test with the meter showed 8.8. Does that mean that the true reading is 7.94? What's the difference? I'm confused. Any help appreciated.

Jill

Hi Jill, Roche who manufacture Accu Chek meters are one of the last to issue meters that read plasma values rather than whole blood. The reason for changing to plasma is that this more closely matches how your BG is measured when blood is taken from your vein in a lab test, so the values can be more easily compared.

This page explains more. If your previous meter measured whole blood then yes, the values will need to be considered as 11% lower than the plasma values. If you didn't have a meter before, consider the plasma value as being the true value to matcha gainst your target range.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/Blood_glucose/Meters/

Thank you Northener. Think I've got it but, oh dear, 8.8 - not at all happy with that.

Blimey Northe, how do ya know that?!

Is it hidden in the lyrics of a kate bush song or have you swallowed a book? 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back