Accu-chek Vs Abbot Battle of the meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Prolly been done but what do peeps think is better. I have an Aviva nano and have just got a Optium Xceed off ebay for 12 quid but don't know whether to change or not....

Marc

Personally I have used accu-check for years and really love their meters. At the moment I have the Aviva but I do have a nano that I keep as a spare. It's all down to personal choice.

I use the Accu-Chek Aviva Combo that goes with my pump. I do also have an Optimum Xceed, which i got for its ability to read blood Ketone levels.

Both meters are fine and as Flutterby says it is largely a personal choice but I use the Accu-Chek because it is designed to work with my pump. Even without this benefit if I was given a choice I think I would still choose the A-C for two reasons: -
  1. The Xceed strips are individually wrapped and although this maybe means they last longer I find the wrapping difficult to open at the best of times, let alone when I am hypo plus I quite like the tubs that the A-C strips come in
  2. I believe that the Xceed strips require less blood but I find that rather oddly it seems to take longer for the blood drop to be drawn up into the Xceed strips.

The Xceed meter is however, the only one available in the UK that I am aware of that offers the option to measure Ketones in the blood, which is more accurate than the usual urine test. If you therefore want this facility and you can get your GP to prescribe the strips (they are expensive compared to the urine strips) then this might be viewed as the better choice.

The Xceed meter is however, the only one available in the UK that I am aware of that offers the option to measure Ketones in the blood, which is more accurate than the usual urine test. If you therefore want this facility and you can get your GP to prescribe the strips (they are expensive compared to the urine strips) then this might be viewed as the better choice.

The blood ketone strips tell you your ketone levels now, whilst the urine strips indicate what they were a few hours earlier.

Meters

I like the accu-chek meters best. I am presently using the mobile. It is really great. I have used nano and compact plus in the past and they have all been really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back