Accu-Chek readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My meter seems to have lost the plot. Fasting reading was 5.8. 1.3/4 hrs. after usual breakfast reading was 4.8; another reading taken immediately after the previous one was 5.5! Went to Lloyds chemist to buy the solution needed to test meter and was told they didn't supply it and to contact the manufacturer. Has anyone else been able to buy from their chemist and is the product expensive?

Hi Jill,

There are alot of variables. First things there is a margin of error in what a meter gives you, that's to say it could be X percent either side of the reading that you are given. Secondly the blood used for this kind of test is capillary blood and differs from one part of the body to another. I have tested with the same BG meter from the same sample from the same finger and got two different results.
As for control solutions no chemist supplies it unless it comes within the bundle that you get with the machine, If you call the manufacturer you should be able to get some sent out to you free of charge, I recall when my Roche meter went dead on me a few years ago I called up and got some batteries for nothing, so one can assume that the same applies to control solutions as they make all the money from the strips.

Tom

You should have got some control solution with the meter. If not, you can register the meter and they will send you some free - you can also order free batteries every 3 months, and record books so worth registering. You can also phone their customer service - they'll probably want the serial number (on the back of the meter) if you haven't yet registered it.

http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/

There can be some 'variety' in readings, even when taken within seconds of each other - there's a margin for error, plus the readings can vary slightly from finger to finger, doesn't give you a lot of confidence when this sort of thing happens, does it?

My meter seems to have lost the plot. Fasting reading was 5.8. 1.3/4 hrs. after usual breakfast reading was 4.8; another reading taken immediately after the previous one was 5.5! Went to Lloyds chemist to buy the solution needed to test meter and was told they didn't supply it and to contact the manufacturer. Has anyone else been able to buy from their chemist and is the product expensive?

Jill contact accu chek you can get the control solution free from them I use Accu chek and have had it sent to me free. So please ask them as for the meter I have also have had a reading I was not sure of and tried a different finger strait after an got a different reading and also others have experience the same thing

I don't have an accu-check but the manufacturer of my meter has a customer number and a web-site where I can get control solution sent for free. They will also replace dying batteries and any meter that goes faulty.

Have a look on the manufacturer's website or there may be some info on the Patient Information leaflet.

Thank you all so much for the useful advice - I'll definitely follow this up. What I couldn't understand was why my reading was lower after eating and this lunchtime was 10.4 when my lunch had only 30 carbs. so I thought I was OK. It's all very confusing and the more I learn about this disease, the more confused I become!

Thank you all so much for the useful advice - I'll definitely follow this up. What I couldn't understand was why my reading was lower after eating and this lunchtime was 10.4 when my lunch had only 30 carbs. so I thought I was OK. It's all very confusing and the more I learn about this disease, the more confused I become!

Confusing, diabetes certainly is! You think you have it cracked one day and then soon enough you come crashing down to earth!! Just like golf! 🙂
I ordered a new battery, cal fluid for my one touch vita meter on thursday morning (got details of tel No on line)and they arrived by post the next morning!.......very impressed!!

Have now ordered solution, diary and battery online so thanks again all.

Good for you Jill

I have been with Accu Check for over 10 years and I find them VERY helpful with anything I have ever asked of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back