Accu-Chek Compact Plus (and a bit of a worry!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone - I'm getting this monitor next week

I'd just thought I'd let you know if anyone is thinking about getting this meter be very careful about getting the test strips - my doctor had no clue how to find them in her database thing and spent about half an hour trying different word combinations until I ended up phoning the accu-chek customer helpline and finding out what they were called

'compact test strips' or something. If anyones doctor is having issues finding them for prescription, tell them to type in compact and it should come up 🙂

also, I just found out my dads best friend has swine flu! I'm supposed to be going to visit next week for my birthday treat to fairford air show, but I'm a bit worried about going now even though he's in isolation at home and getting tamiflu shots everyday and his wife is also on anti-viral drugs. I'm not sure if my dads had any contact, but what if he's carrying it? Any advices, particularly as i know the normal flu jab wont stop it?

Its a local thing with the strips I think. Various people have had similar problems with all kinds of meters. Its all down to the computer system that the individual doc has. The strips are not necessarily very well named on the system and not linked to the meter listing in any way. They're also not named with the same coding as in the BNF, which would seem to be an ideal way to plan it.

Cheers Salmonpuff,

First off if you want a new meter, how do you get one? sweet talk your nurse?? On prescription, or hard cash?

Talking about flu stuff, I guess for some it's gonna get quite a worry.
As this is all new to me, I was wondering, have you had your flu jab for this year? Or rather when do you get it? If you do that is. I'm thinking it might be worth getting as I had a dose of it last year and felt propery rubbish, and couldn't get any work done, so for the cost of a small jab I wreckon I'll get it this year/season. Don't worry I realise the normal flu jab wouldn't cover non pig swine flu thing.

Cheers

Cheers Salmonpuff,

First off if you want a new meter, how do you get one? sweet talk your nurse?? On prescription, or hard cash?

Talking about flu stuff, I guess for some it's gonna get quite a worry.
As this is all new to me, I was wondering, have you had your flu jab for this year? Or rather when do you get it? If you do that is. I'm thinking it might be worth getting as I had a dose of it last year and felt propery rubbish, and couldn't get any work done, so for the cost of a small jab I wreckon I'll get it this year/season. Don't worry I realise the normal flu jab wouldn't cover non pig swine flu thing.

Cheers

i always get mine for free off the nurse 🙂 I just told her mine was playing up and she suggested this one. Or you can buy one, but I'm poor, and you can get them for free so you may as well go for the free option

It's a bit of a worry, I might have to have a chat with my mum before i go down there. Flu jabs are usually like september time i think, there's usually a big tv campaign for them. If you talk to your GP andtell them you're diabetic then you'll be booked in asap for one. It's a good thing to have cuz flu = diabetes doesn't mix very well at all. I dunno if you can get one now, best bet is to phone the GP and ask

If you are on your Gp's systmen as diabetic then you will probably get a reminder, but as Salmonpuff says around sept/oct they tend to start.

I'm not too worried about swine flu, pretty much everyone is going to get it, and in alot of places they aren't giving tamiflu unless you are really unwell with it.

Meters, get them off your DSN or from one of the promotions the companies do (check Balance or Sweet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back