Accu-chek cassette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy2202

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good evening all.

As the colder days are now in full swing, I’ve noticed the past few days that when I go to test during the day my Accu-chek tester says ‘to cold to test, please go to a warmer climate’ (something like that anyway 🙂 )

Now, given I work outside all day every day this has proven to be quite an issue.

I don’t really want to have to take a hot water bottle to work with me every day - nor do I want to fire up the van heaters every day…

Does anyone else experience this?

Is there a alternative tester that perhaps can withstand the cold better?

Whilst writing - I’ve just had the McDonalds crispy festive burger with cranbury and sage n onion sauce …. Game changer. X

Well, same as sticking AA and AAA batteries down your underwear to liven em up and make em work again when it's cold, bung your meter somewhere warm for a few minutes?

I have been known to wrap mine in a thick sock whilst traipsing up fells on cold days. Also keep it in your trouser pocket, the residue heat from your body helps too. If not able to, just rub it inbetween your hands for a few minutes. It soon comes back to life.

This is not an Accu-chek problem - you will experience the same with all meters.
Can you keep it in an inside pocket where your body temperature will keep it warm?

If you do not have a large enough pocket for the case, you can take the meter out of the case - it is only the meter which needs to be kept warm, the lancer works at any temperature ... provided your fingers haven't frozen.

Last edited:
I usually put mine in the inner pocket of my coat when out. Failing that, I wrap it in something and carry it in my bag. If you can’t do that, you could just tuck it inside your clothes for a few minutes to warm it up before you use it. As Helli says, all meters are the same - they have a max and min temperature. One I had had a max altitude too. That is, of course, the reason why I’ve never climbed Everest :D

Interesting Inka - meaning then that it couldn't be used on an aeroplane!

( 🙄 🙂 )

Aeroplanes are pressurised though? Perhaps that counteracts it.

Interesting Inka - meaning then that it couldn't be used on an aeroplane!

( 🙄 🙂 )
Blood glucose monitors by a reaction on the test strip between the blood and a chemical called glucose oxidase producing gluconic acid. The other end of the strips has two electric terminals and the current between these terminals is measured to determine the blood glucose level.
The chemical reaction is affected by the ambient oxygen level which is lower at altitude. Hence, readings at altitude are not accurate (I believe they are typically higher).

As @Inka explained, aeroplanes are pressurised. Otherwise, all airline passengers would suffer from altitude sickness. Therefore, blood glucose monitors work fine when flying.

I just put it under my arm or inside my coat for a minute

I put mine into my bra for a few minutes when that happens and that sharp warms it up. Maybe just tuck it inside your shirt to warm it up or keep it in an inside pocket so that it doesn't get so cold in the first place. I does rather frustrate me as I am inevitably hypo when I need to use it and having to wait a few extra minutes is a bit of a pain. Libre sensor can also get cold and refuse to give a reading. I had a few problems with it last year when I was out exercising and had to put my hand over it on my arm and run like that whilst waiting for it to warm up enough to give me a result. For some reason I have much warmer hands than arms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back