Accu-Chek Aviva Expert question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom1982

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
So real example, used the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert meter. Daughter needed 5.0 units of novorapid to have a take away (first one we’ve had since diagnosis). It was delivered early, was about to give her the jab but it turns out her dinner was crap. So we decided what we could knock up quick and started to go through the finger prick stuff all again. We’d already confirmed the 5.0 units for the inedible dinner on the Accu Chek. To enter another one the meter assumes she’s already got 5.0 units in her system. Can we delete the previous entry?

I have the same meter and I think there is a bit that says “add data” I think this may allow you to delete as well but I’m not too sure.

You definitely can't delete it. Yes the meter will assume she's had the calculated bolus.

Just do mental arithmetic for the dose, or use the calculator on your phone if necessary - if it reduced the bolus because of previous insulin on board, or increased it cos her BG was a bit high, that will be obvious from the dose calculation it made - so you can reduce or increase your calculation by the same amount.

Presumably anyway you've done it by now. Always under dose if any doubt. One stray rogue result on the meter won't hurt her.

You definitely can't delete it. Yes the meter will assume she's had the calculated bolus.

Just do mental arithmetic for the dose, or use the calculator on your phone if necessary - if it reduced the bolus because of previous insulin on board, or increased it cos her BG was a bit high, that will be obvious from the dose calculation it made - so you can reduce or increase your calculation by the same amount.

Presumably anyway you've done it by now. Always under dose if any doubt. One stray rogue result on the meter won't hurt her.
Hahaha mental arithmetic you are old school ain’t ya! Anyway nice one, exactly how we played it.
Cheers for that.

The meter will assume she has had the 5u but you should be able to check how much of it was correction insulin and how much was mealtime insulin. Then you can use the meter to calculate the new mealtime insulin based on the new carbs and just manually add the correction insulin when you give the injection.

So sorry - I simply hadn't realised telling someone yo use their own brain would be met with hilarity. I would simply not know how to prevent my brain calculating things rather than using a man made device they hadn't even invented when I was educated. Mathematics has not changed whatsoever; 2+2 still =4 after all, same as it did pre 1900.

Admittedly when calculating multinational company's insurance premiums requiring multiplication of eg multi millions by rates per mille to 8 decimal places, I did usually check the rough calculations to the exact amounts with a calculator for 40 years at work - but I normally knew the rough answer before I used it. I was horrified to find out they don't now teach little kids their times tables until they're about 8. They were practically drilled into our brains by the time we were 8 !

So sorry - I simply hadn't realised telling someone yo use their own brain would be met with hilarity. I would simply not know how to prevent my brain calculating things rather than using a man made device they hadn't even invented when I was educated. Mathematics has not changed whatsoever; 2+2 still =4 after all, same as it did pre 1900.

Admittedly when calculating multinational company's insurance premiums requiring multiplication of eg multi millions by rates per mille to 8 decimal places, I did usually check the rough calculations to the exact amounts with a calculator for 40 years at work - but I normally knew the rough answer before I used it. I was horrified to find out they don't now teach little kids their times tables until they're about 8. They were practically drilled into our brains by the time we were 8 !
You know you done that all on an Abacus really

And theres me in Year 9 and the maths teacher gets annoyed if I don’t use a calculator…….. I prefer working out carbs in my head and it annoys me that the BG meter won’t accept carbs to the decimal!

It’s all very well if you’ve got an easy ratio, my daughter’s was 1:17 for a while, don’t think I could do that in my head!

And theres me in Year 9 and the maths teacher gets annoyed if I don’t use a calculator…….. I prefer working out carbs in my head and it annoys me that the BG meter won’t accept carbs to the decimal!
That explains why when I would ask my students to divide or multiply 10 by 2 they would reach for the calculator. These were degree level students.

It’s all very well if you’ve got an easy ratio, my daughter’s was 1:17 for a while, don’t think I could do that in my head!
Not precisely, but I'd hope you could do 1:20 quickly so you know roughly what the answer is. (And if you cared, 1:15 and then split the difference, which would be close enough.)

By working out the carbs I didn’t mean insulin the BG meter contains a bolus calculator I simply meant that if I want to eat a 45g yogurt and it gives carbs per 100g I would work out the carbs for the yogurt without a calculator

I never use a calculator or a bolus calculator thingy. When I first had my pump many aeons ago, I was given a nifty little card thing that told you your dose when you put your ratio on it. I used that to start with because I wasn’t used to being able to bolus in fractions of units, but after a while I just used my brain.

“Use it or lose it” is what I feel.

So….. carb counting, ratios, hypos, hypers, bolus, basal, pumps, CGMs, jelly babies, mini cheddars and a poxy partridge in a pear tree. Lucky I ain’t an engineer working 60/70 hours a week…… oh wait

So….. carb counting, ratios, hypos, hypers, bolus, basal, pumps, CGMs, jelly babies, mini cheddars and a poxy partridge in a pear tree. Lucky I ain’t an engineer working 60/70 hours a week…… oh wait
You'd have a slide rule to use to assist you, if you were - which you'd have been taught how to use during the college part of your apprenticeship. same as my bro-in-law did for calculating stresses and strains etc during his building apprenticeship. The Enigma machine was cracked, man landed on the moon and all sorts of things, like eg making and running nuclear submarines before they invented CNC machines to make the titanium valves for them, before calculators came into general use.

I accept that you may not wish to use mental arithmetic - that's perfectly OK - but please don't knock it, or those that do and find it useful.

Welcome to the world of diabetes! It does get easier when you’ve been doing it a while, give it a few months and you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about.

You'd have a slide rule to use to assist you, if you were - which you'd have been taught how to use during the college part of your apprenticeship. same as my bro-in-law did for calculating stresses and strains etc during his building apprenticeship. The Enigma machine was cracked, man landed on the moon and all sorts of things, like eg making and running nuclear submarines before they invented CNC machines to make the titanium valves for them, before calculators came into general use.

I accept that you may not wish to use mental arithmetic - that's perfectly OK - but please don't knock it, or those that do and find it useful.
Hopefully one day I’ll get there. Actually to be fair, that side of it ain’t too shabby. It’s the remembering to pack and take everything when you go out. Went football yesterday and it was like a military operation! Actually I do have another quick question, is everyone’s correction dose the same or are the charts worked out for individuals?

Hopefully one day I’ll get there. Actually to be fair, that side of it ain’t too shabby. It’s the remembering to pack and take everything when you go out. Went football yesterday and it was like a military operation! Actually I do have another quick question, is everyone’s correction dose the same or are the charts worked out for individuals?
Correction doses depend on insulin sensitivity such as for example 1 unit will drop 4 mmol/L or something like that. Everyone is different

Correction doses depend on insulin sensitivity such as for example 1 unit will drop 4 mmol/L or something like that. Everyone is different
Yep - cos we ARE all different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back