Accreditation required for occupational health company

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallyann76

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
I have been contacted by an Occ health company to test my staff's hba1c levels if required, does anyone know what accreditations they should hold to be able to do this? I want to check i can trust the company?

I have been contacted by an Occ health company to test my staff's hba1c levels if required, does anyone know what accreditations they should hold to be able to do this? I want to check i can trust the company?
Why would you want to do that? It's free on the NHS

I can't think of any circumstances in which an employer could need or require to know an employee's HbA1C?

This does seem inappropriate but it perhaps does depend on what precisely they are offering. A potential data protection issue??
My employer used to arrange for people to have their eyes tested if they wished.

I can't think of any circumstances in which an employer could need or require to know an employee's HbA1C?

Quite a few.
Any job with any vaguely hazardous tasks associated with them.
Not so much for yourself, but for protection of others.

Any job with any vaguely hazardous tasks associated with them.
Not so much for yourself, but for protection of others.
Is HbA1c being used in that case as a proxy for the likelihood of hypos? That feels like a bad measure of something you could better get by asking more direct questions (things like "do you have reactive hypoglycaemia", "do you take medication that might cause your blood glucose to go low"), and then you could ask more detailed questions of the minority of employees involved.

Is HbA1c being used in that case as a proxy for the likelihood of hypos? That feels like a bad measure of something you could better get by asking more direct questions (things like "do you have reactive hypoglycaemia", "do you take medication that might cause your blood glucose to go low"), and then you could ask more detailed questions of the minority of employees involved.

More likely just part of a general health screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back