Access to chiropodist - cellulitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

madasaboxoffrogs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have two issues that are troubling me, and I'd rather have some idea about what I can expect to get from my NHS GP.

Cellulitis:

From time to time, I develop some very painful 'boils' which often have a very palpable hard lump underneath the skin lesion.

The skin does get a very angry red. Sometimes the lesion develops a very yellow 'zit'. Gently squeezing these to express the underlying bubble of pus yields copious amounts of dark yellow pus, and frequently some blood. But, even if the top has been removed, the hard sore lump persists, with the surrounding area very red, and VERY painful.

These are almost always axilliary boils. Worse, they seem to develop quickly, often on a Friday evening, so no GP until Monday at the earliest. They are often healing by that time.

Ought I to ask the GP to provide anti-biotics? Not just for the current spot and cellulitis, but to have some in stock so that I can start treatment on the next batch ASAP?

Chiropodist

OK, we get the message about looking after toe-nails. I try to keep mine short anyway, because long nails have a marked negative effect on Gore-Tex linings in my motorcycle boots.

But, I have a bad, and worsening, lumbar spinal problem. I have marked degenerative disc disease L4 - L5, L5 - L6, L6 - S1 which means that I find bending to reach my toenails very difficult normally, and impossible during 'active' phases of back pain. In addition, the last thing I want to do is to lean over, because this frequently induces sciatica and/or instability, and I'm left bed-ridden for a some days.

So, am I entitled to NHS chiropody? And if so, how many visits a month? I'm trying to find out where I stand before doing battle with my GP!

Any advice/help welcome.

Chris

who is mad-as-a-box-of-frogs!

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum!🙂 I'm wondering if the boils are worse due yo your blood sugar levels? I'm sorry, I don't know much about that issue. Regarding your feet, you can certainly get care from podiatrist services on the NHS. Not only do they check your feet for you, but last time I went I was told I could have nail surgery on a slightly ingrowing toenail, plus they were going to give me some thermal insoles for my shoes. So, if these sorts of things are available, then I would imagine you could get other treatments to keep your feet healthy.

Just found this website, should help!

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1099.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=154

Last edited:
When I was a youngster and the eczema was very bad, I'd get extremely run down. That's when I'd get boils on my legs. The docs always gave me a topical ointment for them and a course of multi-vitamins. Perhaps that's what you need rather than antibiotics. I'd certainly talk it over with the doc though.

I've no info regards boils, but as for chiropadist, I was refered by my GP just after diagnosis and they send me an appointment every 3 months, they check my feet and cut my toenails, then once a year they do all the other checks like the pulses etc.

Hi Chris,

I had cellulitis a while back, but it didn't take the form yours has. If you are in that much pain and discomfort don't wait for a doctors appointment, go to A&E.

They well test bloods, look at your feet and make a diagnosis and it has to be better than sitting worrying till Monday. You can then still see you doctor and see what he has to offer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back