Abbott Labs’ Diabetes Device Dominates As CEO Hands Over Reigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Abbott Laboratories glucose monitoring device FreeStyle Libre sales are soaring as Miles White ends his two-decade run as chief executive and big technology firms from Apple and Amazon to Alphabet’s Verily try to crack the lucrative global diabetes market.

But Abbott’s sales of the continuous blood glucose monitoring system Freestyle Libre are helping the global medical product company maintain its dominance of the worldwide market. FreeStyle Libre sales jumped nearly 60% in the fourth quarter to $534 million, the kind of revenue normally equated with blockbuster prescription drugs.

FreeStyle Libre is considered a landmark device because it helps continuously track blood sugar levels with people with diabetes who also don’t have to endure a finger prick for the test as has been common with diagnostics historically. The product is also considered unique in that it measures glucose continuously for two weeks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucej...-as-ceo-white-hands-over-reigns/#20900f5e5938

Wow! It really is a big earner for Abbott 😱

I think someone should tell the writer of the article that it is 'reins' (as in horse), not 'reigns' (as in monarch) 😱 🙂

Maybe they have an especially strong patent on the technology

I presume there are dozens. I take apart the applicator (well, tear bits out of it) to get the needle out so I can just put that in my sharps bin. That needle is disturbingly large, and yet we barely feel it: that alone is clever technology. (I don't want to think of the people testing the prototypes.)

Reactions: Ljc
I presume there are dozens. I take apart the applicator (well, tear bits out of it) to get the needle out so I can just put that in my sharps bin. That needle is disturbingly large, and yet we barely feel it: that alone is clever technology. (I don't want to think of the people testing the prototypes.)
I'm guessing they tested it on oranges 😱 :D
orange2.jpg

Reactions: Ljc
Oh nooo , first those poor mice and now it’s oranges omg sob :D

Oh nooo , first those poor mice and now it’s oranges omg sob :D
Cue...

The Prayer of the Frightened Orange

I’ve recently been reading anecdotes about how people were taught to do their insulin injections, and it appears that a popular method in former years was to get the patient, or patient’s carer, to practice by injecting into an orange. Thankfully, it appears that this barbaric practise has all but disappeared from civilised society, and oranges assigned to hospitals no longer need fear this painful, protracted and humiliating fate at the hands of diabetic neophytes.

Recently, during a clear out of old fruit bowl cupboards at a disused hospital, a remarkable document has come to light, which gives a fascinating insight into the lonely life of a terrified orange destined for the diabetic ward. Most oranges would hope to live out their ripening days adorning colourful baskets alongside fruits of all varieties and nations, valued and admired by staff and patients alike. For those unfortunates selected for injection training however, the outlook was grim, and a dusty, juice-stained piece of old peel found in a dark corner was found to contain this poignant supplication to a higher power…

Oh Orange Father, hear my prayer,
And save me from my fate,
Deliver me from this frightening place,
Before it is too late!

For I have heard an awful word,
The humans call ‘inject’,
And terror grips my shaking pips,
If they should me select!

Oh Orange Spirit, show you care!
Don’t let them pierce me so!
For such a death I cannot bear,
(I’m sensitive, you know!)