Abandoning metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
What symptoms have folk encountered when coming off metformin?

Is it, for instance, their experience that shortly after there is an increase in BG levels as the liver is absorbing less glucose?

hi Jean just a quick question you did consult your doc before comin off the metformin?

can I ask why you want to come off metformin? If it is because of un pleasent or embaressing side effects, they do ease up evntually.

As Steff says, if you want to come off metformin alltogether, talk to the doctor or nurse.

Simple - the less I rely on medication the happier I will be.

If I can control Type 2 solely by diet, that's what i'll do.

well i wish you the best of luck with that Jean x

Simple - the less I rely on medication the happier I will be.

If I can control Type 2 solely by diet, that's what i'll do.

Hi Jean , Dodger is type 2 and came off Metformin several years ago and hasnt looked back since , he controls his levels purely with diet. he does have a healthy Low Carb diet though. Im sure he would be only too happy to advise and help if you asked him (hes a lovely man)

A.M

Great, if you can get control by diet and exercise it is better. Do you test at all? I find testing helps give an idea of which foods will give me a spike and which are OK.

Certainly do, Caroline - a regular tester - both fasting and an hour 9and sometimes 2 hourly also0 after meals.

AND I must thank everyone for their comments. You're so helpful!

If you can control your blood sugars without metformin then that is great but no failure if you needed to start re-taking it. The only thing to point out is that being on metformin entitles you to free prescriptions if you stop taking it you wouldn't anymore (I don't know if any other cicumstances entitiles you so this may be irrelevnt).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back