AA - Amputee Audit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Some days I feel I am the only amputee on the forum. Obviously diabetic amputations are down from when I was first diagnosed but in the past few years I have seen quite a few in hospital and rehab. Sadly the amputation is only the start of it and many things that were simple before become very difficult. So how many more are there on the forum. Maybe we can support each other?

I can't think of any regular posters. I think over the years from my recollections that we seem to have more spouses occasionally post, rather than the amputee themselves.

Think you are right. I did reply to someone whose partner was facing the loss of a toe or more but never got a response. And Lin hasn't posted for around six months.

Think you are right. I did reply to someone whose partner was facing the loss of a toe or more but never got a response. And Lin hasn't posted for around six months.
I did not realise it was that long since she posted, I just noticed she had not posted. She was also a long term memeber.

Hello,
My T1 husband lost 2 of his toes on Friday. It was a sudden shock but we now are on the road to recovery.
understandably he is feeling very glum. I know our lives will change but I feel we can go back to a new normal, just with a new walking style.
he is scared this will lead to further amputations. I’m convinced with better blood glucose management we can continue a long, healthy life.
what are your experiences of lifestyle after amputation?
Tash

New member @NikyAndro has been posting about their experiences of amputation recently.

@TashJD - I think you are 100% correct - the blood glucose management is the key! If he/you need any assistance with that - let us know.

Hello @TashJD!

I missed your post which is really bad form considering this is my thread! My amputation is rather different as I had a BKA (Below Knee Amputation) also known as a TTA (Transtibial Amputation). Had it not been for Covid I suspect I may just have lost my big toe. How it affects your husband depends on which toes have been amputated. It can veo that quite minimal if only one or two toes have been amputated providing it is not the big toe. It is possible, particularly if the big toe is affected, that he will be referred to orthotics who would provide a special pair of shoes. The main thing now is to keep the wound clean and dry as it is healing.

Is possible to slow or even halt the progress of PAD (Peripheral Arterial Disease). Key factors are keeping BG in range as much as possible, eating a healthy low carb diet that is also low in saturated fats, walking as much as possible within the guidelines set by the vascular surgeon and physiotherapist, and not smoking. Two medications are particularly important are a statin (which besides lowering cholesterol helps reduce irritation and further plaque build up) and either Aspirin or \Clopidogrel to prevent a blood clot. Doing this your husband might have many more years without the issues. I read on another forum of an amputee who has avoided issues with his other leg for over twenty years. Also do you need a degree of luck as in rehab I have met people who gave up smoking two decades ago and yet have lost a leg to PAD. Good luck!

P.S. Phantom pain is something nobody tells you about beforehand. I suffer badly from it and have done some research on it via "approved" sites and not random Goggling! It appears the longer and worse the pain beforehand the worse the phantom pain. It can take the form of a sensation the part is still there to intense pain usually around where the ulceration or necrosis was. It seems rare for toes and fingers.

I only have 9 toes, and I know I struggled for a short time to ge too grips with it. Then I said to myself bugged it. the gap where my toe should be is part of me so it became a conversation started when I wore sandals. not in my Charcot boots its still a conversation started as my toes are exposed.

@TashJD - I think you are 100% correct - the blood glucose management is the key! If he/you need any assistance with that - let us know.
Hi, thanks for your response, and apologies for my late response!
we are pretty good with our diets, but any information or advice you can send my way would be appreciated x

Hello @TashJD!

I missed your post which is really bad form considering this is my thread! My amputation is rather different as I had a BKA (Below Knee Amputation) also known as a TTA (Transtibial Amputation). Had it not been for Covid I suspect I may just have lost my big toe. How it affects your husband depends on which toes have been amputated. It can veo that quite minimal if only one or two toes have been amputated providing it is not the big toe. It is possible, particularly if the big toe is affected, that he will be referred to orthotics who would provide a special pair of shoes. The main thing now is to keep the wound clean and dry as it is healing.

Is possible to slow or even halt the progress of PAD (Peripheral Arterial Disease). Key factors are keeping BG in range as much as possible, eating a healthy low carb diet that is also low in saturated fats, walking as much as possible within the guidelines set by the vascular surgeon and physiotherapist, and not smoking. Two medications are particularly important are a statin (which besides lowering cholesterol helps reduce irritation and further plaque build up) and either Aspirin or \Clopidogrel to prevent a blood clot. Doing this your husband might have many more years without the issues. I read on another forum of an amputee who has avoided issues with his other leg for over twenty years. Also do you need a degree of luck as in rehab I have met people who gave up smoking two decades ago and yet have lost a leg to PAD. Good luck!

P.S. Phantom pain is something nobody tells you about beforehand. I suffer badly from it and have done some research on it via "approved" sites and not random Goggling! It appears the longer and worse the pain beforehand the worse the phantom pain. It can take the form of a sensation the part is still there to intense pain usually around where the ulceration or necrosis was. It seems rare for toes and fingers.
Hi MikeyBikey, sorry for my late response! It’s been a hectic week taking in lentil salads to hospital. Thank you for your detailed response. The hubby had his two outer toes and small part of
left foot amputated. He is in hospital, they are using larvae therapy to help the wound heal, then followed by vac seal. The larvae are fascinating stuff!
By any chance was the other amputee you mention called Patrick? I think I saw a similar post last week and would love to chat to him. I’ll try find it.
can you suggest T1 diet websites?
have you heard or had any experience with how long someone can fly after this operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back