For SNOW had fallen deeply
Lying thickly on the ground
And ne-er a bird was tweeting
As the white plague dulled their sound 😱

Immediately I retreated
For this SNOW was not my thing,
And sat and stared forlornly
And contemplated SPring! 🙂

Oh I remember 1963 - on the first day the snow was really deep I walked to school as the busses had stopped running.
Most of the pupils and many of the teachers were not there, so no lessons and at lunchtime we had pineapple crumble as pudding, with lots of pineapple and nice custard for once. The only problem was that the busses did not start running again - so after lunch it was walk back home again, and it was a long way, and a struggle as the snow was knee deep by then.

Twas Xmas Day in the workhouse, the snow was raining fast when a barefooted boy with clogs on came slowly running past.

No idea where on earth he got that from, but a ditty my dad always used to impart to us when my big sis and I were kids.

Twas Xmas Day in the workhouse, the snow was raining fast when a barefooted boy with clogs on came slowly running past.

No idea where on earth he got that from, but a ditty my dad always used to impart to us when my big sis and I were kids.
I heard something similar from my dad and grandad - but the rain was snowing fast, if I remember aright.
My granddad was in a mumming play when he was young and often regaled us with parts of the script - he was Little Devil Doubt. 'No matter how you try you cannot cast me out.....'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back