A wee sojourn

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlisonM

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Evening all.

I've been having a little adventure. This cold and cough I've had doesn't seem to be clearing and I needed some sleep. I didn't think a teaspoon of Benylin would do much harm. Boy was I wrong! My BG Shot up into the 20s and my bro called NHS 24 who sent an ambulance because I was 'acting all weird'. Apparently I was on the phone to a mate talking too fast to be understood and she called bro on his moby. The ambulance crew did a prick test and I was 23.7 so I was whisked off to the hostilepile where they kept an eye on me for a few hours before sending me home once my BG had got down to 11.3 and I was making sense again. I'm told I reached a record for me of 27.2, I don't really remember much and I've slept most of the day away.

I'm now tucked up in bed with my trusty laptop and awful pains in my hands and feet. I'm still quite high, in both senses of the word. I still feel really odd.

All I can say, is stay off the cough medicine.

Wow. All adults are better off taking the childrens, no added sugar stuff. You can get over 6 years and they give a dose for adults, yucky syrupy stuff but no sugar.

I hope you feel better soon.

Wow, a teaspoon??

I hope you feel better soon Alison - good to know you have friends and family there keeping an eye on you x

Hope you feel better soon, and stay away from the benylin...

I have had BG of 28 and felt fine, a little sleepy but no more sleepy than I would be if it was 13.. carried on with my daily activities walked into town did some shopping and was surprised my sugar was so high, tested it again and it was the same.

I hope you are feeling better. Our local pharmacist wont stock Benylin because it ticks all the wrong boxes. Hubby who is not diabetic takes it no problems and so does grown up son.

alternatives to cough syrup

Good to hear you're on the road to more normal blood sugars. It might not have been the cough syrup in particular than raised them - might have been the infection itself?
Personally, I reckon cough syrup is a waste of money - a view inherited from my Scottish grandmother and her daughter, my mum, but they both produced lovely hot lemon, honey & whiskey toddies (no whiskey until we were teenagers!) I still like experimenting today, but haven't had a sore throat yet this winter.

Good to hear you're on the road to more normal blood sugars. It might not have been the cough syrup in particular than raised them - might have been the infection itself?
Personally, I reckon cough syrup is a waste of money - a view inherited from my Scottish grandmother and her daughter, my mum, but they both produced lovely hot lemon, honey & whiskey toddies (no whiskey until we were teenagers!) I still like experimenting today, but haven't had a sore throat yet this winter.

Honey and lemon is good, but if you prefer something a little sweeter try oranges.

Not a nice experience, glad to hear you are home now, even if you are still feeling a bit rough.

Looking at Benylin original syrup it contains only 4.5g carb per dose, which doesn't seem like enough to put you up to 27, possibly the infection that was contributing to putting you up. Have you taken the benylin before without problems? Just wondering if it's one of the other ingredients that you reacted to.

Wrap up warm and look after yourself

Not a nice experience, glad to hear you are home now, even if you are still feeling a bit rough.

Looking at Benylin original syrup it contains only 4.5g carb per dose, which doesn't seem like enough to put you up to 27, possibly the infection that was contributing to putting you up. Have you taken the benylin before without problems? Just wondering if it's one of the other ingredients that you reacted to.

Wrap up warm and look after yourself

I've taken the stuff for chesty coughs for many years, though not in the last year or so and I've never had problems of any kind with it before. I can only think there was some kind of interaction between the cough syrup and one of the other shedload of meds I'm now taking. That's what they think at the hospital anyway. I'm still pretty high and knackered today so I'm taking it easy.

A whisky toddie works wonders no matter the illness!!

Hope you get better soon

im setting up the hot toddies in the pub at moment...i think we all need them today...yuk its nasty out there x ally hope you feeling better hun x

Poor old Alison, you've really been through it since you were diagnosed haven't you? I hope you're feeling much better really soon.

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back