a very interesting read

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiv

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
http://michellestype1diabetes.blogspot.com/

"On May 16, 2008 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 20. I had all the classic symptoms of thirst and weight loss, tested positive for all the autoantibodies, had a low c-peptide, and had an AlC of 14%. On January 8, 2009 I eliminated grain, dairy, and legumes from my diet and the results have been remarkable. Only after a few weeks my insulin needs dropped dramatically and after six months on the diet I quit taking insulin altogether."

Scanning through the blog, she mentions how she has had tests to show that she is producing 'on the low side of normal' amounts of insulin. She says that by following the paelo diet, she has stopped using insulin as the diet has halted the auto-immune attack on her beta cells.

Thoughts, opinions, theories? To be honest, I thought 'what a load of rubbish' when I read the 'about me' section, but she seems to have good levels. So I can't make up my mind if I am impressed or still a bit 'hmmmm'. Hence the need for more input from you guys!

(note: I am obviously not posting this as a criticism/mock/etc - I am really curious about the science behind it, if anyone has any clue about it?)

She's getting insulin from somewhere - even on no carbs we need it. Some of our members need extremely low insulin doses, so it's possible that her pancreas has recovered a little. I was showing symptoms for a couple of years before my pancreas spluttered out. Maybe a very restricted diet and good sensitivity is extending the life of her remaining beta cells?

I thought it would have something to do with the honeymoon phase? I just found it strange...surely at some point the beta cells will pack up altogether, meaning this diet won't work forever?

I thought it would have something to do with the honeymoon phase? I just found it strange...surely at some point the beta cells will pack up altogether, meaning this diet won't work forever?

I would imagine so. Interestingly, she was diagnosed two weeks before me. Once I had recovered from the DKA and everything my insulin needs decreased by 35% for novorapid and 70% for lantus, without me following any kind of restrictive diet. They might have dropped further if I'd done that, but that would have been a big restriction for me and affected my quality of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back