A 'third of UK adults struggle' to afford healthy food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
High food prices mean a third of UK adults are struggling to afford to eat healthily, warns a charity.

The British Heart Foundation, which polled 2,444 adults, found 39% sacrificed health benefits for cost when doing their grocery shopping.

One in four said they hadn't bought a single portion of fresh fruit or vegetables in the last week.

Two thirds said they wanted to eat more healthily, but nearly half of these said cost was a hindrance.

The British Heart Foundation says people can still eat healthily on a small budget.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27110613

I often go 7 days without buying an item of fresh fruit or vegetables. When living alone, it makes more sense to shop, say once a week, and buy a few affordable packs of fruit and veg, some of which lasts longer than a week. Only peel and cores get composted; all else is eaten. Plus, frozen or tinned are just as nutritionally sound as fresh, and often more convenient.

I often go 7 days without buying an item of fresh fruit or vegetables. When living alone, it makes more sense to shop, say once a week, and buy a few affordable packs of fruit and veg, some of which lasts longer than a week. Only peel and cores get composted; all else is eaten. Plus, frozen or tinned are just as nutritionally sound as fresh, and often more convenient.

I'm the same, I only tend to buy fresh veg when it is marked down, otherwise I find the Co-op mixed frozen veg good value 🙂 I do buy the odd banana, and also mixed salad as it would be too wasteful to buy separate constituents.

We've been really lucky - our local "super" changed hands, and everything is much cheaper now, especially fruit n veg. They even stock more local fresh products now. The range is limited - no mangetout flown in from Kenya😱 - but I can't live without my fresh fruit n veg, so I'm a very happy bunny. 🙂
It's shocking to think people can't get what they want tho!

Last edited:
Once my beans, peas, garlic, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries are ready, I won't be buying veggies or fruit those weeks. I reckon I'll more than cover the outlay for seeds / pots / compost (I'll have my own by next year, but had to buy some for this spring planting) in harvested food.

I'm already eating home grown from seed herbs and chives several times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back